*Anita Baker is finally speaking out about the arrest warrant situation she finds herself in.
As we reported, the warrant was issued after the Grammy-winning singer failed to show up in court over a dispute with a home contractor.
Anita, speaking with TMZ, says the guy didn’t even finish the job and what he did do was so shoddy that she took matters into her own hands by climbing up a ladder and basically did the spackling job herself.
Things apparently went awry because she was never made aware of the $15,000 lawsuit the contractor had the nerve to file. In other words, she was never served lagal papers notifying her of the suit.
You can see where ,this is going. When Anita was a no-show in court, the judge entered a default judgment.
It appears the tiff between Baker and contractor goes back to July of 2013. The contractor tried to haul Anita into court and grill her about where she kept her money, so he could go after it to satisfy the judgment. The contractor claims he slapped the notice on her front door. Anita tells us she was on tour and never saw a notice and doesn’t believe it was ever placed there.
So Anita was a no-show again for that hearing, and on Wednesday the judge issued the arrest warrant.
Anita says she’s in shock, saying, “I’ve never been in trouble with the law. I’m terrified.”
She also says this isn’t the first time someone has pulled this on her — someone claiming to serve her with legal papers and then losing the case by default.
Anita’s lawyer says he’s going to court next week to get the warrant lifted and the default judgment set aside.
Anita says, as far as she’s concerned, “There’s no justice in the justice system.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Russell Simmons Announces All Def Movie Awards
- Aretha Franklin to Perform for First Time Ever in Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- LAUSD Whistleblower Protection - Does it Exist?
- Meryl Streep's 'We’re all African' Crazy Talk About Diversity
- Cam Newton Posts Heartfelt Message to his Supporters
- Boot Campaign Honors Lieutenant Colonel Dr. Marie Walters
- Black History Month at ESPN: 'SportsCenter' at Hampton for Historic Lacrosse Match; ‘Rise Up’; ‘Spike Lee’s Lil Joints’; NBA's John Wall & Miyah
- ICYMI: POTUS on ‘Ellen’; Ruben & Fantasia on ‘American Idol’ (Watch)
- Review: American Masters: B.B. King: The Life Of Riley (Fri, Feb. 12, PBS)
- Hannibal Buress Joins Cast of 'Baywatch' Movie
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here