*It wasn’t as horrific as John Travolta’s “Adele Nazeem” moment, but President Obama fumbled the spelling of Aretha Franklin’s signature song while saluting the Queen of Soul and other musical legends during a White House concert Thursday night.
“What a lineup!” Obama said to open the “Women of Soul” affair that included a generations-spanning array of soul singers that stretched from musical legends Aretha Franklin and Patti LaBelle to Jill Scott and Janelle Monae, to 20-year-old Ariana Grande.
Obama paid tribute to Franklin for turning her signature song “Respect” into “a rallying cry for African-Americans, women and then everyone who felt marginalized.”
According to the AP, the enthusiastic crowd fell out laughing, but was more than willing to forgive the president for spelling it “R-S-P-E-C-T.”
First up in the East Room lineup was LaBelle, with a thundering delivery of “Over the Rainbow” that had the audience on its feet.
It was a mutual admiration society of sorts as LaBelle thanked the Obamas for their tenure in the White House, declaring, “Baby, you got swag!”
Grande, the youngster in the group, seemed in awe of her fellow performers and the august audience. Her lead-in: “What’s up? How are you? Good to see you. Thank you for having me.”
The emotional high point came when Franklin, 71, sauntered in, gave a shimmy and declared “Let’s have a party.” Then she went right into “I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)” She was back later to close down the show with what Obama called “one more treat,” — a slow, soulful rendition of “Amazing Grace” that turned rowdy at the end.
But first, all the other ladies — including Melissa Etheridge, Monae, Scott and Tessanne Chin — collaborated on a rollicking delivery of “Proud Mary.”
The concert was livestreamed at WhiteHouse.gov/live and will be broadcast as “In Performance at the White House: Women of Soul” on April 7 on PBS.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Rihanna Talks Casual Sex, Rachel Dolezal, Wanting to Change Chris Brown
- Health: You Could Possibly Have A Hidden Illness if Any of These Symptoms Show Up
- 27 Bill Cosby Accusers Set for NBC ‘Dateline’ Special (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Taps Husband Vince for Emotional 'DWTS' Routine (Watch)
- F. Gary Gray in Talks to Direct ‘Fast and Furious 8’
- Wendy Williams Wants Terrence Howard Off 'Empire'; He Responds
- EUR On the Scene: The 18th Annual First Ladies High Tea (WATCH)
- Iyanla Vanzant Gets Real as Woman Confronts Gay Pastor Husband
- Memo to Publisher McGraw-Hill: 'Slaves' Were Not 'Workers' (Watch)
- Tupac Planned to Kill ‘Thug Life’ Via 'Thug Life is Dead' Letter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here