*It wasn’t as horrific as John Travolta’s “Adele Nazeem” moment, but President Obama fumbled the spelling of Aretha Franklin’s signature song while saluting the Queen of Soul and other musical legends during a White House concert Thursday night.
“What a lineup!” Obama said to open the “Women of Soul” affair that included a generations-spanning array of soul singers that stretched from musical legends Aretha Franklin and Patti LaBelle to Jill Scott and Janelle Monae, to 20-year-old Ariana Grande.
Obama paid tribute to Franklin for turning her signature song “Respect” into “a rallying cry for African-Americans, women and then everyone who felt marginalized.”
According to the AP, the enthusiastic crowd fell out laughing, but was more than willing to forgive the president for spelling it “R-S-P-E-C-T.”
First up in the East Room lineup was LaBelle, with a thundering delivery of “Over the Rainbow” that had the audience on its feet.
It was a mutual admiration society of sorts as LaBelle thanked the Obamas for their tenure in the White House, declaring, “Baby, you got swag!”
Grande, the youngster in the group, seemed in awe of her fellow performers and the august audience. Her lead-in: “What’s up? How are you? Good to see you. Thank you for having me.”
The emotional high point came when Franklin, 71, sauntered in, gave a shimmy and declared “Let’s have a party.” Then she went right into “I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)” She was back later to close down the show with what Obama called “one more treat,” — a slow, soulful rendition of “Amazing Grace” that turned rowdy at the end.
But first, all the other ladies — including Melissa Etheridge, Monae, Scott and Tessanne Chin — collaborated on a rollicking delivery of “Proud Mary.”
The concert was livestreamed at WhiteHouse.gov/live and will be broadcast as “In Performance at the White House: Women of Soul” on April 7 on PBS.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Reacts to ‘The Real’ Firing on Next ‘Braxton Family Values’ (Teaser)
- Activist PFK Boom Demands Pastor Jamal Bryant 'Get the F*ck Out' of Baltimore (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey Ready for ‘Greenleaf’ Backlash; Warns T.D. Jakes of Possible Comparisons
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Lawyers in Jerry Heller Case Want Judge to Watch Entire Film for Context
- If You're the Mother of a Teen Girl, You'll Want to Know About This
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here