*An agreement was reached this week in the ongoing litigation involving Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines,” one of last year’s biggest songs.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, all parties agreed that Bridgeport Music is no longer a defendant, which means the lawsuit won’t be considering whether the Thicke hit is a copyright infringement of Funkadelic’s “Sexy Ways.”
THR’s Eriq Gardner writes:
When Thicke and producers Pharrell Williams and Clifford Harris Jr. (rapper T.I.) filed a preemptive lawsuit seeking declaratory relief last August, they suggested that threats were being made by the rights-holder of Funkadelic’s songs. Soon thereafter, George Clinton, who once led Funkadelic and has feuded with Bridgeport over the years, quickly tweeted his belief there was no sample in Thicke’s song.
The removal of Bridgeport from the dispute means it’s now purely a fight between Thicke’s side (which now includes various record labels) and Marvin Gaye’s children over whether “Blurred Lines” is too similar to Gaye’s “Got to Give It Up” as well as whether Thicke’s “Love After War” is too similar to Gaye’s “After the Dance.”
The plaintiffs say that “being reminiscent of a ‘sound’ is not copyright infringement” while the defendants and counter-claimants say that Thicke has gone too far with his “Marvin Gaye fixation.”
A mediation session is scheduled for next month. At present, a trial is set for November.
Listen to “Sexy Ways” and “Blurred Lines” below:
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom Officially End Their Marriage
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- The Wiz Casting, Bobbi Kristina, Racial Profiling App, Janet Jackson & More| BHL
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Janet Jackson Continues Tour Rehearsal, Set to Perform at iHeartRadio Festival
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here