*An agreement was reached this week in the ongoing litigation involving Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines,” one of last year’s biggest songs.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, all parties agreed that Bridgeport Music is no longer a defendant, which means the lawsuit won’t be considering whether the Thicke hit is a copyright infringement of Funkadelic’s “Sexy Ways.”
THR’s Eriq Gardner writes:
When Thicke and producers Pharrell Williams and Clifford Harris Jr. (rapper T.I.) filed a preemptive lawsuit seeking declaratory relief last August, they suggested that threats were being made by the rights-holder of Funkadelic’s songs. Soon thereafter, George Clinton, who once led Funkadelic and has feuded with Bridgeport over the years, quickly tweeted his belief there was no sample in Thicke’s song.
The removal of Bridgeport from the dispute means it’s now purely a fight between Thicke’s side (which now includes various record labels) and Marvin Gaye’s children over whether “Blurred Lines” is too similar to Gaye’s “Got to Give It Up” as well as whether Thicke’s “Love After War” is too similar to Gaye’s “After the Dance.”
The plaintiffs say that “being reminiscent of a ‘sound’ is not copyright infringement” while the defendants and counter-claimants say that Thicke has gone too far with his “Marvin Gaye fixation.”
A mediation session is scheduled for next month. At present, a trial is set for November.
Listen to “Sexy Ways” and “Blurred Lines” below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Usher’s ‘Don’t Trump America’ Shirt from BET Awards Now On Sale
- Lil Wayne’s Prison Memoir ‘Gone Til November’ Finally Due in October
- Dollywood's 'World's Fastest Wooden Coaster' is Slowed due to Recall
- Be Someone Partners W/ Police for Brains Before Bullets
- THE (06-30-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Music Exec Salutes Billy Paul & Luther Vandross
- Before Muhammad Ali's Death, Son Says 'Evil Stepmom' Kept Him Prisoner
- Iggy Azalea Dumped Nick Young Because He Impregnated His Ex
- Deion Sanders Hit With $1M Lawsuit Over Assault at Son's School
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here