*Hezekiah Walker’s “Every Praise” joins an exclusive club of songs that have topped Billboard’s weekly airplay chart for half a year or more, as the track rebounds 2-1 to earn its 26th nonconsecutive week at No. 1 on Gospel Airplay.
The song becomes one of only seven tracks that have dominated a Nielsen BDS-based airplay ranking for six months or more.
Billboard ‘s Gary Trust writes: “Noticeably, Gospel Airplay boasts three of the seven longest airplay chart reigns. Coincidence? Likely not. The momentum of certain gospel hits can steamroll, as, after they grow ubiquitous at radio, or sometimes simultaneously, they become popular with church choirs, worship leaders and ministers of music, thus, finding new audiences with congregants that may or may not be gospel radio listeners. That appeal, invariably, elongates the songs’ relevance and familiarity and can prolong their dominance on gospel radio.”
While Walker celebrates six months atop Gospel Airplay, it’s not his first lengthy run at No. 1. His prior leader, “Souled Out,” with LFC, topped the chart for 14 weeks in 2009. (Reinforcing Walker’s wide reach, both songs also crossed to R&B radio, with “Praise” bringing him his highest Adult R&B peak, No. 22, in January.)
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here