*As if Bradley Cooper’s jheri curl in “American Hustle” wasn’t enough, on Friday, “True Blood” star Joe Manganiello arrived in theaters wearing jailhouse cornrows, a specific look designed to accent his character’s badassness in the action thriller “Sabotage.”
The actor, who plays a member of an elite team of DEA operatives, crossed off several bucket list items in shooting the film. He got to star opposite his childhood idol Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose character is the team’s commander; and he was finally able to work under director David Ayer, also the screenwriter for Denzel Washington’s Oscar vehicle “Training Day.”
“I screen tested for ‘Training Day’ 13 years ago, for [director] Antoine [Fuqua], and it was the first time I read David’s script,” Manganiello said during a recent “Sabotage” press conference. “They talk about addicts chasing that first high, and I think that for the past 13 years I’ve been trying to find another script that was as good, and [has given me] as visceral a response to it the way ‘Training Day’ did.”
The “Training Day” connection doesn’t stop there. Manganiello said he found inspiration for his character – cornrows and all – from the popular 2001 film, which saw Washington’s character adopt the look of the gangs he policed as a Los Angeles narcotics detective.
Listen below. (Joe specifically recalls co-star Terrence Howard’s reaction to his new hair.)
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Tamron Hall Reveals Her Fear Of Love
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Look! New Poster for 'When the Bough Breaks' Starring Morris Chestnut & Regina Hall
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here