*Nasir “Nas” Jones kicked off the 20th anniversary of his classic debut album “Illmatic,” this past weekend with a special performance featuring the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center Concert Hall in Washington D.C.
The veteran New York lyricist delivered two sold out performances on Friday and Saturday lead by NSO Principal Pops Conductor, Steven Reineke, who provided newly commissioned orchestrations of the ten track opus, in addition to other notable hits including “Made You Look,” “Hate Me Now,” “Live at the Barbeque,” and “If I Ruled The World” to name a few.
Pulling together such an elaborate performance alongside the nation’s most prestigious instrumental ensemble was not only a milestone for the 40-year-old, but also a riveting cinematic experience.
“We just had one day to rehearse, and then the dress rehearsal, and that was the day of the show,” he revealed to those in attendance during the Hennessy V.S cast party at the venue’s KC Café. “It’s been two nights of my life that I will never forget. You know you kind of made it when you get the people that you work with are seasoned professionals. And that’s what I dealt with through this experience. You guys are serious people. You really, really, really made this whole thing turn into a movie.”
Nas’ two monumental performances also kicked off the Kennedy Center’s first annual, “One Mic: Hip-Hop Culture Worldwide Festival,” celebrating the four original elements of the genre’s culture: MCing, DJing, b-boying, and graffiti writing.
From now until April 13, hip-hop enthusiasts can partake in various ticketed and free performances and exhibitions, highlighting international and local artists who use hip-hop to transform their communities, as well as activists from D.C.’s hip-hop community.
For a complete list of events from this year’s festival click here.
Watch clips from the performance below.
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here