*Former Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith on Thursday surprised the 7-year-old boy whose tearful reaction to his release from the Carolina Panthers went viral.
Smith, who signed with the Baltimore Ravens 24 hours after being cut by Carolina a week ago, surprised Gavin Simone on ABC’s “Good Morning America” with a hug and the first “Smith Sr” No. 89 Ravens jersey.
Smith sought out Simone on social media after seeing a video filmed by the child’s father when he told him Smith had been released.
“It touched me a little bit,” Smith said Tuesday on ESPN Radio’s “Mike & Mike” show. “He was balling. He had the ugly face cry.”
So Smith set up the surprise meeting with Simone on GMA.
Smith came up with the idea to put Smith Sr. on the back of his jersey this season when he and his wife discovered they were going to have his namesake. There were no indications at the time the Panthers would cut their all-time leading receiver. Speculation about that didn’t begin until a few weeks ago, and it became reality last Thursday.
That’s when Simone’s dad filmed the video that went viral.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Carmen Electra on Prince’s Death: ‘I Just Hope People Understand What Pain Is’ (Watch)
- VH1’s ‘Hip Hop Honors’ Returning to Salute the Ladies
- ‘The Real’s’ Adrienne Bailon Calls Tamar Braxton ‘My Sister Forever’
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: You Don't Know What You Don't Know
- The Socialist's Journal: Blake Lively
- Dr. Kenneth C. Ulmer and David Sigel Announce TUI
- 'It Got Better': Raven Symone Talks Sexuality & Coming Out (WATCH)
- THE (05-24-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Oscar Generale & Denny Mendez Shopping for Baby Clothes?
- Lynn Whitfield Dishes on Her Dramatic Face Off With Oprah! (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here