*Former Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith on Thursday surprised the 7-year-old boy whose tearful reaction to his release from the Carolina Panthers went viral.
Smith, who signed with the Baltimore Ravens 24 hours after being cut by Carolina a week ago, surprised Gavin Simone on ABC’s “Good Morning America” with a hug and the first “Smith Sr” No. 89 Ravens jersey.
Smith sought out Simone on social media after seeing a video filmed by the child’s father when he told him Smith had been released.
“It touched me a little bit,” Smith said Tuesday on ESPN Radio’s “Mike & Mike” show. “He was balling. He had the ugly face cry.”
So Smith set up the surprise meeting with Simone on GMA.
Smith came up with the idea to put Smith Sr. on the back of his jersey this season when he and his wife discovered they were going to have his namesake. There were no indications at the time the Panthers would cut their all-time leading receiver. Speculation about that didn’t begin until a few weeks ago, and it became reality last Thursday.
That’s when Simone’s dad filmed the video that went viral.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Chrissy Teigen’s Planned Parenthood Comments Spark Twitter Beef
- Kym Whitley: Inspiring Adoptive Parents While 'Building Memories' [EUR Exclusive]
- Must See! Tracee Ellis Ross Sings with Mom Diana in 'Vegas (WATCH)
- Watch: Mr. 'N*ggers Gotta Learn How to Read' Resigns Police Chief Gig (After Only One week!)
- NYC Cabbie: Roker Snub a ‘Misunderstanding’; Peele & Peretti Get Engaged
- Black Pastors Dispute Donald Trump’s Endorsement Claim for Meeting
- How the #BLM Movement Stays Alive & Effective Outside Spotlight
- THE (11-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 'Carol' Explores Lesbian Love in the 50s
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here