*California, we’ve got a problem!
The deadline for getting Obamacare coverage is Monday and the Golden State, California, very few African Americans have signed up statewide, and there’s not much time to address the lackluster turnout.
According to an LA Times report, on Wednesday, state officials reiterated that Monday remains the deadline for open enrollment. But the state will give Californians until April 15 to finish their application if they start it before midnight Monday.
Thus far, fewer than 3% of health plan enrollees identify themselves as African American, and that number hasn’t budged in weeks. About 17% of African Americans in California are uninsured, and overall they constitute about 7% of the state’s population.
But the state’s struggles at reaching uninsured Latinos have drawn far more attention and criticism among lawmakers and health law supporters. The pace of Latino sign-ups has picked up in recent weeks amid a multimillion-dollar marketing blitz. Overall, consumer interest is running high ahead of the deadline, with nearly 40,000 people enrolling Monday and Tuesday, the state said.
There is more of this story at LA Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Willow Smith: The New Face of Chanel Eyewear (Pics & Video)
- Father of Orlando Shooting Victim Refuses to Claim Son's Body
- Russell Simmons' All Def Digital Lands New $10M in Financing
- Daniel Craig In Talks to Join Halle Berry in LA Riots Drama ‘Kings’
- Theodore 'Ted' Myles Terry's 'Turn Me Loose' (Life & Times of Dick Gregory) a Success
- Ringside Update/ Thurman vs Porter A Clash of Young Titans
- EUR EXCLUSIVE: 'The Legend of Tarzan' Press Junket
- THE (06-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- The Legends of Bad A** Women: 'Tarzan' Ain't the Only One with a Jane
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Features 'Sledgehammer' from Rihanna (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here