*California, we’ve got a problem!
The deadline for getting Obamacare coverage is Monday and the Golden State, California, very few African Americans have signed up statewide, and there’s not much time to address the lackluster turnout.
According to an LA Times report, on Wednesday, state officials reiterated that Monday remains the deadline for open enrollment. But the state will give Californians until April 15 to finish their application if they start it before midnight Monday.
Thus far, fewer than 3% of health plan enrollees identify themselves as African American, and that number hasn’t budged in weeks. About 17% of African Americans in California are uninsured, and overall they constitute about 7% of the state’s population.
But the state’s struggles at reaching uninsured Latinos have drawn far more attention and criticism among lawmakers and health law supporters. The pace of Latino sign-ups has picked up in recent weeks amid a multimillion-dollar marketing blitz. Overall, consumer interest is running high ahead of the deadline, with nearly 40,000 people enrolling Monday and Tuesday, the state said.
There is more of this story at LA Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Cute as Heck: 10-Year Old Gets to 'Play Bass' With Paul McCartney (Watch)
- Monica Updates Fans On Marriage Status, Praises Husband
- Endangered Gorilla Killed After 4-Yr-Old Boy Enters Habitat (WATCH Dramatic Video)
- Keke Palmer Denies Joining 'The Real' - Tamar in Tears Over Firing (WATCH)
- 'Presenting Princess Shaw' Film Review + Trailer [WATCH]
- Motown Gospel Presents 1 Mic 1 Take [email protected] Studios
- Khloe Kardashian Doesn't Believe in Divorce, Still Getting One Anyway
- Ex-Cop Sues NYPD for $100M Over Abusive Boss & Former Lover
- 'Roots' Star Anika Noni Rose: 'We Need To Hear About Our Holocaust' [EUR Exclusive]
- Kelly Rowland Talks Beyonce, Being 'Psycho' Mom, Her Mother's Death (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here