*Pharrell Williams‘ sophomore album, “G I R L,” is being released TODAY, March 3.
However, there’s been backlash over his album cover.
Notice the lack of color?
It seems the “Happy” singer didn’t feature any black women on his album cover to much criticism. That’s a problem for some folks.
Williams recently responded to the criticism in an interview with YBF.com.
“They’re ill informed. The woman I’m standing closest to, she is black and she’s been a friend of mine for a long time. You know, I’m confused by it,” the Oscar-nominee admitted. “Then they’re going to ask me ‘do I not have an Indian woman on there or a Pakistani woman on there?’ But meanwhile, I do. She is African American and I feel sorry for her that people will look her dead in her face like ‘she ain’t black,’ but she is black. It’s a girl I use to date years ago.”
So there is a black woman on the cover.
Nevertheless, Williams is remaining ‘happy’ with his Best Original Song Oscar nomination and number one pop hit.
He continued with:
“It’s just unfortunate because it’s 2014 and we have a President [who’s black],” Williams continued to explain to the site. “Is this what it is? Is it because she’s not brown? I don’t feel funny about our President because he is what he is.”
“Meanwhile, has anybody forgotten that I’m black myself? I wake up everyday and I wave the black flag. Everything that I’m doing. You know, this ‘Happy’ song going #1. What is the guy that’s singing the song? What do you mean?”
But Williams did acknowledge how black women influenced him.
I’m standing by a black woman. My business is run by a black woman. My mom partially looks after my business and she’s a black woman. I’m married to a black woman. I’m confused. I guess once you get the album you will look inside and see she’s a black woman. I’m sorry that from that vantage point you can’t look at her hair and tell that she’s black.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Prince’s Fam Requests Revolution Start Reunion Tour AFTER August Memorial Event
- Judge Favors Chris Brown in Baby Mama’s Attempt to Restrict Custody
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here