*Pharrell Williams‘ sophomore album, “G I R L,” is being released TODAY, March 3.
However, there’s been backlash over his album cover.
Notice the lack of color?
It seems the “Happy” singer didn’t feature any black women on his album cover to much criticism. That’s a problem for some folks.
Williams recently responded to the criticism in an interview with YBF.com.
“They’re ill informed. The woman I’m standing closest to, she is black and she’s been a friend of mine for a long time. You know, I’m confused by it,” the Oscar-nominee admitted. “Then they’re going to ask me ‘do I not have an Indian woman on there or a Pakistani woman on there?’ But meanwhile, I do. She is African American and I feel sorry for her that people will look her dead in her face like ‘she ain’t black,’ but she is black. It’s a girl I use to date years ago.”
So there is a black woman on the cover.
Nevertheless, Williams is remaining ‘happy’ with his Best Original Song Oscar nomination and number one pop hit.
He continued with:
“It’s just unfortunate because it’s 2014 and we have a President [who’s black],” Williams continued to explain to the site. “Is this what it is? Is it because she’s not brown? I don’t feel funny about our President because he is what he is.”
“Meanwhile, has anybody forgotten that I’m black myself? I wake up everyday and I wave the black flag. Everything that I’m doing. You know, this ‘Happy’ song going #1. What is the guy that’s singing the song? What do you mean?”
But Williams did acknowledge how black women influenced him.
I’m standing by a black woman. My business is run by a black woman. My mom partially looks after my business and she’s a black woman. I’m married to a black woman. I’m confused. I guess once you get the album you will look inside and see she’s a black woman. I’m sorry that from that vantage point you can’t look at her hair and tell that she’s black.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep9) Sinned Against
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Slapping Ball Out of Ref’s Hand (Watch)
- Mariah Carey, Ex-Husband Nick Cannon Spend Thanksgiving Together
- Siri Gives Taraji P. Henson Attitude in New Apple Music Ad
- Provocative New Ebook Details Trump and the GOP’s Race Baiting History and the White House Race
- Put the 'Black' Back in 'Black Friday'
- Kerry Washington Gives Props to her Hubby: ‘The Real Gladiator’
- Look! Patti LaBelle and James Wright Chanel Together Eatin', Dancin & Singin' (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here