*Saul “Canelo” Alvarez after coming off his first defeat against Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr., showed the boxing world that he indeed could bounce back last Saturday nite with a big win over the tough and rugged Alfredo “El Pierro” Angulo. Folks, I got to tell you something, even though Angulo came into this one with courage and grit, from the opening bell he just didn’t seem like he was in there to win.
I mean this wasn’t the same guy that I saw last year against Irislandy Lara who he dropped twice out in Carson, Calif., or even the same guy that fought James Kirkland a couple of years ago. In this case, he just didn’t show up. And don’t get me wrong, Angulo happens to be one of boxing’s nicest guys you ever want to meet. But when you’re in a bout that’s sceduled to go twelve rounds and you’re on pay per view, you’ve got to do better than just come in the ring and throw patty cake punches against a guy that’s knocking you from pillar to post. You’ve got to come in there to win, and that’s what “Canelo” came to do.
Some people at ringside say that referee Tony Weeks created some controversy by calling a halt to the bout at the beginning of the tenth, but let me tell you something. I think he did right because if he hadn’t of stopped it, it’s possible that we could be having a different conversation today. I mean this guy was getting battered so much thoughout that by the ninth round his face looked like it had went through a meat grinder.
“Canelo” Alvarez said after the bout,”We did our homework, we knew his style. We knew the right hand would connect often. We always have a plan, but inside the ring sometimes things change.”
Angulo’s trainer Virgil Hunter said afterwards, “I am somewhat disappointed in the stoppage, but my hat goes off to “Canelo”. I have nothing negative to say. I want to give team “Canelo” my congrats”.
In other boxing news, Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins returns to the ring on April 19 in attempt to unify the light heavyweight title at 49 years old as he goes against WBA champ Beibut Shumenov. This one is set to take place at the D.C. Armory and will be telecast live on Showtime Championship Boxing. I hear that world middleweight champion Peter “Kid Chocalate” Quillan is also on the card as he set to go against Lukas Konecny who is undefeated, the European title holder, and a well seasoned veteran.
Danny Garcia is also set to go against Mauricio Herrera in Puerto Rico this weekend on a Showtime Championship Boxing telecast. He will be defending his WBC 140lb super welterweight title. Deontay Wilder is also sceduled to go against Malik Scott in a 12 round WBC heavyweight title eliminator. This should be a good show with these guys going against each other. As I always say, we’ll see what happens.
I hear that Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao just got back in town to continue to prepare for his rematch against Timothy “Desert Storm” Bradley on April 12 at the MGM Grand. The last time these two got together it ended in controversy with Bradley being declared the winner”(there were some at ringside that disagreed with that decision). This time they get together there will be no doubt in anyone’s mind as to the outcome ( hopefully, we’ll see what happens).
Miguel Cotto is set to go against Sergio Martinez on June 7 at Madison Square Garden. This one will be telecast live on HBO pay per view. This is going to for Martinez middleweight title. That’s all for now, we’ll talk later.
“When the tide goes out, that’s when you’ll find out who’s been swimming naked”-Warren Buffet
Southern California based Mohammed Mubarak’s Ringside Update column can also be seen in the Pace News, the Inland Valley News, and the High Desert Inland Valley News. Mohammed is a portrait artist as well. He can be contacted at [email protected] for your comments.