*Steve Smith said he was moved by the video of a little boy who had a crying fit when told that the Carolina Panthers had released the veteran wide receiver.
“It touched me a little bit,” Smith said Tuesday during a radio interview with ESPN’s “Mike & Mike.” “He was bawling. He had the ugly-face cry.”
Smith, who signed with the Baltimore Ravens on Friday, reached out through social media and located the boy, named Gavin. Smith plans to visit with him later this week to present him with some of his new Baltimore paraphernalia, as well as some of his old Carolina gear, to ease the pain.
He may even give something to Gavin’s little sister, who also was a part of the video in a rather comical way.
“Here’s the funniest thing,” Smith said. “I actually met Gavin three or four years ago. … That’s why he actually bawled. Our kids actually interacted a few times. He also knows me as Boston’s dad … our youngest.”
Gavin’s father taped the moment he told his son about Smith’s Thursday release and posted the video on YouTube. Asked whom he would cheer for on Sundays, Gavin screamed: “Nobody!”
Gavin then slapped at the camera as his father told him general manager Dave Gettleman fired Smith because he was too old.
“I hate the Panthers!” Gavin yelled.
Gavin’s sister wasn’t quite so upset.
“Now we have to cheer for Cam Newton,” she said of the Carolina quarterback.
When his father suggested Gavin cheer for Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly, Gavin replied, “I hate Luke Kuechly!”
The sister, again, had a different opinion.
“I love Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly,” she said.
Smith said he plans to do something “neat” for Gavin and added that he plans to post it on social media.
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Once Homeless and Alone in NYC, Man Receives Yale Scholarship
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here