After achieving success with 14 movies for Lionsgate Entertainment, Tyler Perry took a serious defeat this past weekend with the worst opening weekend of his career with his latest film, “The Single Moms Club.”
Media sources report the Nia Long starring feature took in only $8.3 million from 3,183 theaters, despite it garnering Perry’s best reviews from mainstream critics.
The weak opening comes as the entertainment mogul ends his longtime relationship with Lionsgate. News of the parting officially confirms a formal announcement made in February that Perry and Lionsgate would not renew deal, but may consider collaborations in the future.
Perry’s stint at Lionsgate was marked with a history of money made since the company partnered with the filmmaker in 2005. Despite less than stellar reviews, Perry’s films proved to be a guaranteed winner for Lionsgate. The studio’s first Perry film, “Diary of a Mad Black Woman” made a total of $51 million domestically after opening with $22 million. Perry’s highest grossing release was “Madea Goes To Jail,” which brought in $41 million in its opening weekend and $91 million total. Prior to “The Single Moms Club,” Perry’s lowest grossing film was “Daddy’s Little Girls,” which earned $11 million for its opening weekend and $31 million total.
The popularity of Perry’s movies was a double asset for Lionsgate as the studio benefitted from huge profits made from the films as well as a connection made with African-American moviegoers.
As for what Perry will do next is anyone’s guess. The moviemaker, who recently closed his 34th Street Films, consolidated operations at his Atlanta headquarters. At this time, Perry’s is in a small screen state of mind as he is focused on producing shows for Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Network.
- Who T-Pain, Vic Mensa & A$AP Rocky Wanna Collab With (WATCH)
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Casting Complete for Brandy’s New BET Series ‘Zoe Ever After’
- Rosie O’Donnell Checks Elisabeth Hasselbeck for Calling #BlackLivesMatter a Hate Group
- Perspective on Harris Co. Deputy's Death by Project 21 Member Who Served with Him
- RHOA Fight: Cynthia Bailey Kicked Porsha Williams in the Stomach (Report)
- James Bond Author Now ‘Sorry’ for Calling Idris Elba ‘Too Street’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here