After achieving success with 14 movies for Lionsgate Entertainment, Tyler Perry took a serious defeat this past weekend with the worst opening weekend of his career with his latest film, “The Single Moms Club.”
Media sources report the Nia Long starring feature took in only $8.3 million from 3,183 theaters, despite it garnering Perry’s best reviews from mainstream critics.
The weak opening comes as the entertainment mogul ends his longtime relationship with Lionsgate. News of the parting officially confirms a formal announcement made in February that Perry and Lionsgate would not renew deal, but may consider collaborations in the future.
Perry’s stint at Lionsgate was marked with a history of money made since the company partnered with the filmmaker in 2005. Despite less than stellar reviews, Perry’s films proved to be a guaranteed winner for Lionsgate. The studio’s first Perry film, “Diary of a Mad Black Woman” made a total of $51 million domestically after opening with $22 million. Perry’s highest grossing release was “Madea Goes To Jail,” which brought in $41 million in its opening weekend and $91 million total. Prior to “The Single Moms Club,” Perry’s lowest grossing film was “Daddy’s Little Girls,” which earned $11 million for its opening weekend and $31 million total.
The popularity of Perry’s movies was a double asset for Lionsgate as the studio benefitted from huge profits made from the films as well as a connection made with African-American moviegoers.
As for what Perry will do next is anyone’s guess. The moviemaker, who recently closed his 34th Street Films, consolidated operations at his Atlanta headquarters. At this time, Perry’s is in a small screen state of mind as he is focused on producing shows for Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Network.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Reacts to ‘The Real’ Firing on Next ‘Braxton Family Values’ (Teaser)
- Activist PFK Boom Demands Pastor Jamal Bryant 'Get the F*ck Out' of Baltimore (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey Ready for ‘Greenleaf’ Backlash; Warns T.D. Jakes of Possible Comparisons
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Lawyers in Jerry Heller Case Want Judge to Watch Entire Film for Context
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here