Story by Larry Buford
*We’ve been hearing a lot from the man who made “Who you gonna call?” a global catch phrase. On March 6th, musician Ray (“Ghostbusters”) Parker Jr. received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Attended by the who’s who in the music and film industries, speakers at the ceremony included Bill Withers and Brian Holland (of Holland/Dozier/Holland fame).
Parker is the 2518th recipient of the Hollywood star in the Category of Recording. In addition to his blockbuster “Ghostbusters” – which along with other versions of the song sold over 35 million units – Parker and his band Raydio are also known for such hits as “Jack And Jill,” “You Can’t Change That,” “A woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do),” and “The Other Woman.” Parker’s star is located at 7065 Hollywood Blvd. next to fellow music giants Herbie Hancock, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonius Monk, and The Funk Brothers. When his star was unveiled Parker exclaimed “Unreal!”
After the ceremony, Parker hosted a private party at the Hard Rock Cafe where George Benson (who had everybody rockin’ to “On Broadway”) and many other music luminaries performed to a packed house. The show was emceed by our reporter-about-town Karla Gordy Bristol. Parker is currently working on a new album scheduled for release this summer. He says he is staying true to his style and promises something special for his audience.
In addition to all this, Parker was recently interviewed on ActorsE Chat by host Ron Brewington. Parker is very candid, animated and humorous as he talks about the beginnings of his musical journey. His first instrument was the clarinet. A native Detroiter, he was at an early age playing guitar behind legendary stars like Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, and many others. The irony is that he was never signed to Motown Records. It’s a very interesting and insightful interview.
Congratulations to Ray Parker Jr., and we wish him continued success!!
Please click the player below for Ray’s interview with Ron Brewington:
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here