Story by Larry Buford
*We’ve been hearing a lot from the man who made “Who you gonna call?” a global catch phrase. On March 6th, musician Ray (“Ghostbusters”) Parker Jr. received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Attended by the who’s who in the music and film industries, speakers at the ceremony included Bill Withers and Brian Holland (of Holland/Dozier/Holland fame).
Parker is the 2518th recipient of the Hollywood star in the Category of Recording. In addition to his blockbuster “Ghostbusters” – which along with other versions of the song sold over 35 million units – Parker and his band Raydio are also known for such hits as “Jack And Jill,” “You Can’t Change That,” “A woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do),” and “The Other Woman.” Parker’s star is located at 7065 Hollywood Blvd. next to fellow music giants Herbie Hancock, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonius Monk, and The Funk Brothers. When his star was unveiled Parker exclaimed “Unreal!”
After the ceremony, Parker hosted a private party at the Hard Rock Cafe where George Benson (who had everybody rockin’ to “On Broadway”) and many other music luminaries performed to a packed house. The show was emceed by our reporter-about-town Karla Gordy Bristol. Parker is currently working on a new album scheduled for release this summer. He says he is staying true to his style and promises something special for his audience.
In addition to all this, Parker was recently interviewed on ActorsE Chat by host Ron Brewington. Parker is very candid, animated and humorous as he talks about the beginnings of his musical journey. His first instrument was the clarinet. A native Detroiter, he was at an early age playing guitar behind legendary stars like Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, and many others. The irony is that he was never signed to Motown Records. It’s a very interesting and insightful interview.
Congratulations to Ray Parker Jr., and we wish him continued success!!
Please click the player below for Ray’s interview with Ron Brewington:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Bill Cosby Accuser Drops Defamation Lawsuit, But Still 'In Solidarity' With Alleged Victims
- Trolls Trying to Insult Steph Curry's 3-Year-Old Daughter Mistakenly Tweet Grown Man (See His Response)
- Larenz Tate, Mike Colter Join Queen Latifah’s ‘Girl Trip’
- TV Academy Sues Over Whitney Houston's Illegal Emmy Auction
- While Supreme Court Guts 4th Amendment, Black America left hypnotized by the NBA and Lebron James
- Mahershala Ali: The 'Free State of Jones' Interview with Kam Williams
- R. Kelly’s Ex-Wife Drea Takes Twerking to a New Level...And In a Floor Length Skirt (Watch)
- Broadway’s ‘Shuffle Along’ to Close With Audra McDonald’s Maternity Exit
- Obama to Cavs Coach Tyronn Lue: "Tell J.R. and Everybody to Put On a Shirt" (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here