*Chicago’s Urban Prep Academy has done it again.
For the fifth year in a row, the school has achieved a 100 percent college acceptance rate for its senior class. This year, 240 students got acceptance letters from four-year colleges and universities.
As part of an Urban Prep ritual, when seniors are admitted into college, they exchange their red uniform ties for a red and gold striped tie, a symbol of how hard they’ve worked.
“The tie represents to me moving on from a boy to becoming a young man and actually doing something with my life,” graduating senior Dumar Harris told NBC.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel was on hand to congratulate the scholars, and NBA star Dwayne Wade donated $10,000 through his foundation to offset the cost of the student prom.
The Urban Prep seniors – all African American males – received over $11 million in college grants and scholarships. They were admitted to over 185 colleges and universities, including Cornell University, Florida A & M University, Georgetown University, Grinnell College, Howard University, Morehouse College, Syracuse University, Tufts University, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the University of Virginia.
This year, for the first time, Urban Prep seniors have also been admitted to Colgate University, Emory University, the University of Michigan, Williams College, and the United States Military Academy (West Point).
- Tyrese Gibson Responds to Forbes for ‘Green Lantern’ Shade
- Video: Tidal Releases Bizzy Crook's 'From Everything Came Nothing'
- Tasha Cobbs' 'One Place Live' Releases August 21 on Motown Gospel
- Tia Mowry and Pooch Hall Return for 'The Game' Finale
- Problem? Teen Vogue Uses Fair Models for African Braids Feature
- Bobby Seale, Black Panther Professor, Gives History Lesson to D'Angelo (Watch)
- Nick Gordon's Defense in Bobbi Kristina Case: Drugs Responsible
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here