*Looks like singer Anita Baker is playing a game of “turning the tables.”
Ms. Baker has responded to a lawsuit by a decorating company with one of her own.
Here’s what the Detroit Free Press is reporting:
Lawyers with Ray A. Smith Painting and Decorating “intended to put her in as embarrassing a light as possible” leading to a bench warrant for her arrest in the initial suit, which dates to 2011, said her lawyer, Jamal Hamood of Rochester. He said she had no idea the lawsuit existed until well after the case had been decided against her.
The 2011 lawsuit was scheduled for a hearing Friday in Wayne County Circuit Court, but it was postponed to April 25 because of a medical emergency involving the plaintiffs, Hamood said. The decorating company’s attorney, Daniel Gerow, didn’t respond to a request for comment by deadline.
Hamood said that at the hearing, he intends to ask to have the default set aside, giving Baker, 56, a chance to fight the lawsuit. He filed Baker’s lawsuit against the decorating company on April 15.
As we reported, the bench warrant was issued because Baker failed to appear at a creditor’s examination last September after she was subpoenaed in a case that alleges she failed to pay $15,351.41 for work done on her Grosse Pointe home, Gerow previously said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Socialist's Journal: 'Meternity Leave'
- Meet the Black Businessman Giving Ex-Cons, Veterans, and Homeless Support for Success
- THE (05-03-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ringside Update/Ortiz vs Berto II The Second Chapter
- Johnny Gill Says New Album to Accompany New Edition Biopic
- Bobby Shmurda to Sue NYPD Over False Arrest & Gun Charges
- Thanks to Stephen Curry, NBA To See Record Playoff Viewers
- Moya Angela: Dreamgirls' 'Effie' Speaks Exclusively to EURweb
- Aretha Franklin Covers 'Purple Rain' at International Jazz Day (WATCH)
- New Woman Claims She’s Prince’s Long-Lost Half Sister; Seeks Piece of Estate
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here