According to the rapper, a bitter family feud is part of the reason why he decided against attending the funeral as well as the care of his mother, Mary, Scott. Instead, Benzino mourned her privately earlier Saturday at the funeral home where the wake was held.
“I didn’t want to be around them,” the former Source magazine co-owner told The Boston Globe. “I felt like, I didn’t want any problems. I can love my mother and there doesn’t have to be any problems with family.”
Despite his efforts to avoid confrontation, drama found Benzino as he encountered the procession while en route to meet a friend.
“I looked over, there was a car, and all I saw was a gun shooting at me,” said the entertainer (born Raymond Scott), who added that the person who shot at him fired seven or eight shots. “I was trying to duck and dodge, drive around it, maneuver the car. . . . I was bleeding a lot. I was driving with my thumb in my shoulder to try to stop the bleeding.”
The Globe reports that Benzino, who was shot in the upper arm and back, eventually ended up at the Duxbury police station after a relative driving in the procession picked up him up when he stopped, got out and ran away from his car. Speaking with the Plymouth district attorney’s office, the paper stated that Benzino was
shot twice by his nephew, Gai Scott, as the two drove through Duxbury.
Citing attorney-client privilege, Gai Scott’s attorney, Christopher Coughlin, declined to reveal any other details other than his client would plead not guilty to the charge of armed assault with intent to murder. Although he was mainly silent regarding Gai Scott, Coughlin told the Globe that defense attorneys may dispute Benzino’s account of the incident.
Regarding Gai Scott’s mother and Benzino’s sister, Maureen Scott, Coughlin mentioned that after losing her mother and having her son arrested she was struggling.
“It’s an incredibly difficult time for her,” he told the paper.
Benzino, who is currently recovering from his injuries at South Shore Hospital, was expected to be discharged on Monday, according to his lawyer, Martin Leppo
As for why his nephew decided to shoot him, Benzino, credits Duxbury firefighters for saving his life, admitted to “TMZ Live” that he has no idea what motivated the shooting while hinting at bad blood that exists.
In the meanwhile, Gai Scott’s version of events seems to counter Benzino’s as he appeared in court Monday, saying he was acting in self-defense.
To hear Benzino’s interview with “TMZ Live, click on the audio below:
- Donald Trump: Obama Blew it for Future Black President Hopefuls
- The Socialist's Journal: The Value of Lives (Cecil the Lion)
- Min. Paul Scott/Straight Outta Con Man: Exposin’ the Truth About NWA
- 'Straight Outta Compton' Cast Talks' Straight Outta Compton' (Watch)
- Karen Clark Sheard Drops Highly Anticipated New Release 'Destined to Win'
- THE (08-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Raynette Turner's Death Leads to Probe by State Appointed Special Prosecutor
- Snoop Dogg Has Over $200K Seized at Italian Airport
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’: The Most Important Film of the Year
- Bobbi Kristina and Whitney: Reunited in Death; Buried Side by Side
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here