*The International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences has announced the nominees for the 18th annual Webby Awards, and the list ranges from celebrities such as Jay Z, Beyonce and Pharrell Williams to Google and GoPro, the maker of popular mountable video cameras.
Bey was nominated for Best Celebrity Site, while her husband’s album rollout with Samsung was nominated for its interactive media campaign. Among the online videos nominated is Pharrell’s 24-hour music video, “24 Hours of Happy.”
The International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, a group of about 1,000 Internet experts and professionals. Webby categories are split into a regular award, chosen by the academy, and a “people’s voice” award, which lets members of the public vote.
The organizations with the most nominations are Vice Media with 11, The New York Times with 10, and Google Inc. with nine.
Among the mobile apps and games nominated are the secret-sharing app Whisper, vacation rental site Airbnb and QuizUp. The viral ads category includes “The Epic Split” featuring Jean-Claude Van Damme, in which the action film star does a split in between two Volvo trucks, along with “Real Beauty Sketches” by Dove. The Citi Bike app, used for New York City’s bike sharing program, is among the apps nominated in the city and urban innovation category, which also includes PulsePoint, an app that lets people trained in CPR help people nearby who are in need of assistance.
This year’s awards received more than 12,000 entries from over 60 countries. Of these, 8 percent were selected as nominees.
Winners of the 18th annual awards will be announced April 29.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- David Cash Reemerges as 'Justdavid'
- ‘Deadpool’ Off the Charts, ‘Single’ Suffers, and ‘Zoolander 2’ is Clueless
- Russell Simmons Announces All Def Movie Awards
- Aretha Franklin to Perform for First Time Ever in Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- LAUSD Whistleblower Protection - Does it Exist?
- Meryl Streep's 'We’re all African' Crazy Talk About Diversity
- Cam Newton Posts Heartfelt Message to his Supporters
- Boot Campaign Honors Lieutenant Colonel Dr. Marie Walters
- Black History Month at ESPN: 'SportsCenter' at Hampton for Historic Lacrosse Match; ‘Rise Up’; ‘Spike Lee’s Lil Joints’; NBA's John Wall & Miyah
- ICYMI: POTUS on ‘Ellen’; Ruben & Fantasia on ‘American Idol’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here