*BET‘s spinoff channel has definitely evolved over the years.
Centric is no stranger to rebranding itself… even before it was Centric.
The channel was formerly designated as a spinoff for BET’s jazz programming — known as BET on Jazz, BET Jazz, and BET J before becoming Centric.
Now the channel is rebranding itself again to be known as the premiere network for black women.
Before this, Centric was seen as a general interest channel for the diaspora — with programming including old sitcoms like “227” and “The Jamie Foxx Show.”
But the channel will kick off its rebranded focus on black women with programming including season four of “Single Ladies.”
Queen Latifah‘s production company Flavor Unit Entertainment is behind many hits like “Single Ladies” and “Let’s Stay Together.” Now the company is joining forces with Centric to produce more programming geared towards black women.
“We are thrilled to be working once again with Flavor Unit Entertainment and Queen Latifah. She does it all and we are happy to have her join us as a creative force as we continue to grow Centric into a premiere destination for African American women. We couldn’t be more excited about what’s ahead,” said Debra L. Lee, BET Networks Chairman and CEO.
Although programming targeting black women is an open market, Oprah Winfrey might beg to differ. Centric will most likely be going up against her network, OWN, to appeal to black women.
“At more than 10 million strong, and in control of 20 billion dollars in buying power, the African American woman is an increasingly powerful, yet often overlooked consumer,” said Louis Carr, BET Networks President of Broadcast and Media Sales. “No other network has embraced her with content designed specifically for her – until now.”
He continued with:
“Centric is the first network to deliver the programming that celebrates, inspires and addresses her unique perspective.”
When season four of “Single Ladies” premieres on Centric so will the new rebranded network.
- Gov. Nikki Haley to #BlackLivesMatter: You Don’t Have to ‘Yell and Scream’ (Watch)
- Dwight Howard Brings Loaded Glock to Houston Airport, Avoids Arrest
- RGIII Gets Standing Ovation at Redskins Event
- Watch ‘Melville’, the SXSW Short Michael Strahan is Developing for TV
- AcaciaTV Strives To Increase Diversity In Fitness Videos, Training
- Meet New 'Daily Show' Correspondent Roy Wood Jr. (Video)
- The Isley Brothers’ Essential Library - 23-CD Box Set Collection is Historic
- Director Admits Cutting Roger Goodell Scene in Will Smith’s ‘Concussion’ Film
- Director Ripped for Taylor Swift’s 'Very White Africa' in New Video (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton, Chaka Khan, Kim Zolciak Set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here