Courtroom sketch of Chris Brown in DC courtroom today with judge and lawyers. Artist: Bill Hennessy

Courtroom sketch of Chris Brown in DC courtroom on April 23, 2014, with judge and lawyers. Artist: Bill Hennessy

*Chris Brown will have to wait several more months before going on trial in DC.

The delay, announced this morning, will allow his bodyguard time to appeal his own conviction, according to NBC Washington.

No specific date has been set for Brown’s assault trial, but it could begin roughly six months from now, according to the report. Brown’s trial was delayed after his bodyguard, Christopher Hollosy, decided not to testify out of fear of self-incrimination.

Hollosy was convicted of assault Monday in a separate trial. He’s scheduled to be sentenced on June 25. Prosecutors in D.C. say they would not be inclined to give Hollosy immunity if he testifies during Brown’s trial out of concern that he may lie.

Both Brown and his bodyguard were arrested in October for allegedly punching a man outside a Washington hotel. Hollosy, told police he punched the man after he tried to get on Brown’s tour bus. But the man told police both men punched him after he tried to get in a photo Brown was taking with two women.

A limo driver who witnessed the incident said he saw Brown throw a punch that grazed the victim’s shoulder. He said he then saw Hollosy throw a punch that resulted in blood. Court papers say the man’s nose was fractured. According to NBC4, the judge’s ruling relied largely on the testimony of the limo driver.

Brown has denied hitting the man.

A guilty verdict for the Grammy winner could have significant repercussions. Besides jail time in D.C., he could face additional penalties, including jail time in California.

At the time he was arrested in Washington, Brown was on probation in Los Angeles for an attack on his then-girlfriend, the singer Rihanna, in 2009. His probation was revoked, and he was ordered to rehab for anger management but was discharged in March for a rules violation. He was then arrested and held in an L.A. jail until U.S. marshals took him into custody and brought him to D.C. for trial in the 2013 assault case.

A civil case is also in the works. The victim is suing for $3 million for doctors’ bills, pain and suffering.