*(Washington, DC) – The NAACP has released the following statement in response to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) March employment report which indicates that for the month of March, the national unemployment rate was 6.7 percent.
The unemployment rate for Asians was 5.4%, for whites 5.8%, Latinos 7.9%, for African Americans 12.4% and no data was released on American Indians.
From Dedrick Asante-Muhammad, Sr. Director of NAACP Economic Department:
“America’s job crisis is on the verge of becoming a deeply rooted structural epidemic for all Americans. Over six years after the beginning of the Great Recession, with a sluggish job growth rate of 192,000 a month, it will take an additional five more years to get to pre-recession employment numbers. African Americans have suffered radically high unemployment numbers for decades and continue to have over twice the unemployment rate of white Americans. Fifty years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, we must act with renewed urgency on the unfulfilled civil rights campaign to end racial economic inequality.
The NAACP Economic Department was relaunched in 2011 and currently has four program areas: Fair Lending, Economic Education, Opportunity and Diversity, and Community Economic Development. The NAACP Economic Department is dedicated to ensuring that “every person will have equal opportunity to achieve economic success, sustainability, and financial security.”
Learn more about the NAACP Economic work here.
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- The NBA Demands Removal of Flag & No More Systematic Racism
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here