*Harvard University’s freshman class will look a lot different this year.
According to the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, 2014 marks the Ivy League school’s highest percentage of accepted black students to date. Nearly 12 percent of the total applicants who were offered admission next fall are black.
Based off Harvard’s average student yield of 70 percent, the journal predicts that approximately 170 black students will join the class of 2018. It goes on to stress the fact that American colleges most known for their selectiveness tend to average only 5 to 10 percent black students.
Two high schoolers made headlines for not only receiving acceptance letters from Harvard, but from several Ivy League schools: Kwasi Enin — who was accepted to all eight Ivy Leagues — and Avery Coffey, who was accepted to five.
Indeed, it’s been a good year of breaking stereotypes for black students, including Ivy-bound Akintunde Ahmad, a Bay Area teen who carries a copy of his report card around on his phone to prove his 5.0 GPA and 2100 SAT score.
The current rise in minority admissions is certainly something to celebrate, but there’s still progress to be made. Dr. Boyce Watkins of Syracuse University praised the institution for their historic achievement, but also challenged schools to look to increase diversity elsewhere on campus, namely through the faculty.
“While we are tempted to jump up and down in excitement over the school’s decision to accept the fact that blacks are just as bright as whites, we might need to take a moment of pause” said Dr. Watkins. “Even though the presence of black students is very important to a campus, the reality is that admitting students of color neither requires significant courage nor shows any real sign of meaningful progress when it comes to truly shaping the direction of a university. The holy grail of power in any academic environment is the number of tenured faculty positions, which Harvard continues to keep African Americans from obtaining.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (05-30-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Blac Chyna and Rob K Stand to Make $1 Million for Bay Pics
- Beyoncé Earns Big for Tidal, Superjam 2016 Lineup Announced
- Monica Updates Fans On Marriage Status, Praises Husband
- Endangered Gorilla Killed After 4-Yr-Old Boy Enters Habitat (WATCH Dramatic Video)
- Keke Palmer Denies Joining 'The Real' - Tamar in Tears Over Firing (WATCH)
- 'Presenting Princess Shaw' Film Review + Trailer [WATCH]
- Motown Gospel Presents 1 Mic 1 Take [email protected] Studios
- Khloe Kardashian Doesn't Believe in Divorce, Still Getting One Anyway
- Ex-Cop Sues NYPD for $100M Over Abusive Boss & Former Lover
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here