*Tuesday’s announcement that former Howard University student Sean “Diddy” Combs will be the commencement speaker this year was met with opposition from students who don’t believe he deserves the honor.
The backlash stems from Diddy having dropped out of the school in 1990 to intern at Uptown Records. According to TMZ, many students feel he isn’t a worthy role model.
But Howard is standing firm with its decision to have him speak, joining such prestigious past Howard commencement speakers as Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, and Maya Angelou.
A rep for the school tells TMZ, “Howard University continues the tradition of identifying leaders whose work has clearly contributed to the advancement of their fields and the world … We are honored to have Mr. Combs serve as our speaker.”
Diddy was a business major when he left Howard after two years.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Why Alicia Keys is Not Wearing Makeup These Days
- Chuck D, B-Real, Tom Morello Form New Band 'Prophets of Rage'
- Dez Bryant Salutes Spelling Bee Co-Champ Who Threw His ‘X’ Sign
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder
- Comedian George Wallace: 'The Black But Equal Thing Don't Work for Us' [EUR EXCLUSIVE]
- Race and Cancer Survival: Blacks Less Likely to Survive (Writer Shares Personal Experience)
- Why Millions Would Join a Gorilla’s Lives Matter but Not Black Lives Matter
- Minor League Baseball Team to Honor Prince in Special 'Purple Game, Purple Game'
- Taraji P. Henson Among Honorees at Women in Film’s Crystal + Lucy Awards
- Dwayne Johnson to Play Action Hero Lead in ‘Doc Savage’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here