*Tuesday’s announcement that former Howard University student Sean “Diddy” Combs will be the commencement speaker this year was met with opposition from students who don’t believe he deserves the honor.
The backlash stems from Diddy having dropped out of the school in 1990 to intern at Uptown Records. According to TMZ, many students feel he isn’t a worthy role model.
But Howard is standing firm with its decision to have him speak, joining such prestigious past Howard commencement speakers as Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, and Maya Angelou.
A rep for the school tells TMZ, “Howard University continues the tradition of identifying leaders whose work has clearly contributed to the advancement of their fields and the world … We are honored to have Mr. Combs serve as our speaker.”
Diddy was a business major when he left Howard after two years.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Watch: The 'Steve Jobs' Trailer
- THE (10-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Chris Bosh & Rasheeda Appear on Tonight's 'ROSEWOOD' on FOX (Video)
- BHERC Presents 'Reel Black Men' Short Film Festival on October 24
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here