*Tuesday’s announcement that former Howard University student Sean “Diddy” Combs will be the commencement speaker this year was met with opposition from students who don’t believe he deserves the honor.
The backlash stems from Diddy having dropped out of the school in 1990 to intern at Uptown Records. According to TMZ, many students feel he isn’t a worthy role model.
But Howard is standing firm with its decision to have him speak, joining such prestigious past Howard commencement speakers as Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, and Maya Angelou.
A rep for the school tells TMZ, “Howard University continues the tradition of identifying leaders whose work has clearly contributed to the advancement of their fields and the world … We are honored to have Mr. Combs serve as our speaker.”
Diddy was a business major when he left Howard after two years.
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Lupita Nyong’o to Make NY Stage Debut in Danai Gurira's ‘Eclipsed’
- Mariah Carey to Direct Hallmark Film, Sets NYC Xmas Shows, European Tour
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here