*Open Road Films has acquired U.S. rights to “Tupac,” the long-awaited feature on the life of rapper Tupac Shakur directed by John Singleton, reports Deadline.com.
Written by Jeremy Haft, Ed Gonzalez and Singleton, the film follows ‘Pac from his East Harlem upbringing as the son of activist Black Panther Party members, to blowing up as a songwriter, hip-hop and movie star, to his vocal position as a leader in the East Coast/West Coast rap war, to his death.
Casting will start shortly, for a late summer production start in Atlanta, LA and New York. It’s a reunion of sorts for Singleton and Shakur, as Singleton directed him in the 1993 film “Poetic Justice.”
Open Road has committed to a wide-screen release of at least 2000 theaters, according to Deadline.
The film is being produced and financed by Morgan Creek Productions and Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films. Tupac’s mom Afeni Shakur is one of the executive producers.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Master P Sued Over Failure to Deliver Snoop Dogg in Dubai
- Grammys: Ice Cube & Son to Present; Miguel to Sing 'She's Out Of My Life'
- Yolanda Adams Added to Fox’s Live Musical ‘The Passion’
- Lance Stephenson Drags Ex K. Michelle Over ‘Down in the DM’ Remix
- Cleveland Rescinds $500 ER Bill Sent to Tamir Rice’s Family
- Not a Good Cop Look: Ex-Sheriff, Lee Baca, Admits Guilt in False Statements
- Woman Accusing Chris Brown of Battery Files Lawsuit
- Wife of Thunder Asst. Coach Monty Williams Dies in Car Crash
- Diddy Joining ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Pharrell Williams
- Janet Jackson Sighting: Paps Finally Catch Her After Surgery (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here