*Open Road Films has acquired U.S. rights to “Tupac,” the long-awaited feature on the life of rapper Tupac Shakur directed by John Singleton, reports Deadline.com.
Written by Jeremy Haft, Ed Gonzalez and Singleton, the film follows ‘Pac from his East Harlem upbringing as the son of activist Black Panther Party members, to blowing up as a songwriter, hip-hop and movie star, to his vocal position as a leader in the East Coast/West Coast rap war, to his death.
Casting will start shortly, for a late summer production start in Atlanta, LA and New York. It’s a reunion of sorts for Singleton and Shakur, as Singleton directed him in the 1993 film “Poetic Justice.”
Open Road has committed to a wide-screen release of at least 2000 theaters, according to Deadline.
The film is being produced and financed by Morgan Creek Productions and Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films. Tupac’s mom Afeni Shakur is one of the executive producers.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Great Beginnings Hosts: 'It Takes a Village' to Celebrate Healthy Babies, Friday May 27
- THE (05-25-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Report: Tamar's Attitude Towards ('The Real') Producers Did Her in
- Ringside Update / A Triple Boxing Championship Weekend
- Soulja Boy Exaggerated $400M Payday from World Poker Fund
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here