*Open Road Films has acquired U.S. rights to “Tupac,” the long-awaited feature on the life of rapper Tupac Shakur directed by John Singleton, reports Deadline.com.
Written by Jeremy Haft, Ed Gonzalez and Singleton, the film follows ‘Pac from his East Harlem upbringing as the son of activist Black Panther Party members, to blowing up as a songwriter, hip-hop and movie star, to his vocal position as a leader in the East Coast/West Coast rap war, to his death.
Casting will start shortly, for a late summer production start in Atlanta, LA and New York. It’s a reunion of sorts for Singleton and Shakur, as Singleton directed him in the 1993 film “Poetic Justice.”
Open Road has committed to a wide-screen release of at least 2000 theaters, according to Deadline.
The film is being produced and financed by Morgan Creek Productions and Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films. Tupac’s mom Afeni Shakur is one of the executive producers.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lionel Richie Trying to Get Oscar Attention for 'Tuskegee Airmen' Doc (Trailer)
- 50 Cent Files $75M Lawsuit Against Law Firm for Poor Representation
- Valentino’s African-Inspired Runway Show Has No African Models; Twitter Gives Side-Eye
- Man Fired After Online Racist Jokes Erupt from Selfie (with 'Slave')
- Judge Won’t Dismiss Molestation Lawsuit Against Bill Cosby; Yale Won't Rescind his Honorary Degree
- Nicki Minaj Calls Out Miley Cyrus on her Cultural Appropriation Insensitivity: 'You Have Some Big Balls'
- Victor Cruz’s Fiancée Sends Group Text to All of His Mistresses: Report
- Ben Carson Judges Ore. Shooting Victims: ‘I Wouldn’t Just Stand There and Let Him Shoot Me’
- After 3 Years, Stevie Wonder’s Divorce from Kai Millard Finalized
- Rosie O’Donnell’s Daughter: Mom Left ‘The View’ Over Rift with Whoopi
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here