*Open Road Films has acquired U.S. rights to “Tupac,” the long-awaited feature on the life of rapper Tupac Shakur directed by John Singleton, reports Deadline.com.
Written by Jeremy Haft, Ed Gonzalez and Singleton, the film follows ‘Pac from his East Harlem upbringing as the son of activist Black Panther Party members, to blowing up as a songwriter, hip-hop and movie star, to his vocal position as a leader in the East Coast/West Coast rap war, to his death.
Casting will start shortly, for a late summer production start in Atlanta, LA and New York. It’s a reunion of sorts for Singleton and Shakur, as Singleton directed him in the 1993 film “Poetic Justice.”
Open Road has committed to a wide-screen release of at least 2000 theaters, according to Deadline.
The film is being produced and financed by Morgan Creek Productions and Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films. Tupac’s mom Afeni Shakur is one of the executive producers.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Drake Struggles With 'Work Banter' in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Watch)
- Stranger Defends Teen Harassed for Selling Candy Outside Target (Watch)
- Chris Brown Responds to Recent Exits from ‘People Claiming to Be My Team’
- Shirley Caesar Receives Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame (Watch Full Ceremony)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here