*Open Road Films has acquired U.S. rights to “Tupac,” the long-awaited feature on the life of rapper Tupac Shakur directed by John Singleton, reports Deadline.com.
Written by Jeremy Haft, Ed Gonzalez and Singleton, the film follows ‘Pac from his East Harlem upbringing as the son of activist Black Panther Party members, to blowing up as a songwriter, hip-hop and movie star, to his vocal position as a leader in the East Coast/West Coast rap war, to his death.
Casting will start shortly, for a late summer production start in Atlanta, LA and New York. It’s a reunion of sorts for Singleton and Shakur, as Singleton directed him in the 1993 film “Poetic Justice.”
Open Road has committed to a wide-screen release of at least 2000 theaters, according to Deadline.
The film is being produced and financed by Morgan Creek Productions and Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films. Tupac’s mom Afeni Shakur is one of the executive producers.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Rookie Cop Beats Handcuffed Woman & it's Caught on Camera! (WATCH)
- Prince Death Probe: Authorities Looking for 'Friendly' Docs who Prescribed Pills
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here