LOS ANGELES – On the 22nd anniversary of the 1992 L.A. Civil Unrest, a coalition of activists and civil rights groups will join Angelenos of all races and ethnicities offended by the racist comments of L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling at a protest and rally on Tuesday, April 29 at 5:30 p.m.
The Los Angeles is Better Than Donald Sterling Anti-Racism Protest and Rally will take place at the corner of Figueroa and Pico in front of the Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles. The rally is expected to start at 6 p.m. ahead of the scheduled Clippers’ game at 7:30 p.m. Activists will call on the public to boycott the L.A. Clippers and ask Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and the Los Angeles City Council to denounce Sterling’s comments. Organizers are encouraging the public to take public transportation to avoid costly parking fees.
In an audio released by the TMZ.com, a man identified by TMZ and other sources as Sterling reportedly told his girlfriend that he did not want the woman to bring black men to Clippers games, or socialize with them publicly.
“You can sleep with them, you can bring them in, you can do whatever you want,” a male voice said. “The little I ask is that you not promote it… and not bring them to my games.”
The man on the audio also criticized the woman for posting a photograph of her and former Laker star Earvin “Magic” Johnson on the website Instagram.
“Don’t put him on Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me … and don’t bring him to any more games, OK?” he said.
The protest and rally can be found on Facebook by clicking here and on Twitter trending under the hashtag #LosAngelesisBetterThanDonaldSterling.
Los Angeles is Better Than Donald Sterling Anti-Racism Protest & Rally
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Corner of Figueroa and Pico in Downtown Los Angeles
Metro Blue and Expo Lines Pico Blvd. exit
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here