LOS ANGELES – On the 22nd anniversary of the 1992 L.A. Civil Unrest, a coalition of activists and civil rights groups will join Angelenos of all races and ethnicities offended by the racist comments of L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling at a protest and rally on Tuesday, April 29 at 5:30 p.m.
The Los Angeles is Better Than Donald Sterling Anti-Racism Protest and Rally will take place at the corner of Figueroa and Pico in front of the Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles. The rally is expected to start at 6 p.m. ahead of the scheduled Clippers’ game at 7:30 p.m. Activists will call on the public to boycott the L.A. Clippers and ask Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and the Los Angeles City Council to denounce Sterling’s comments. Organizers are encouraging the public to take public transportation to avoid costly parking fees.
In an audio released by the TMZ.com, a man identified by TMZ and other sources as Sterling reportedly told his girlfriend that he did not want the woman to bring black men to Clippers games, or socialize with them publicly.
“You can sleep with them, you can bring them in, you can do whatever you want,” a male voice said. “The little I ask is that you not promote it… and not bring them to my games.”
The man on the audio also criticized the woman for posting a photograph of her and former Laker star Earvin “Magic” Johnson on the website Instagram.
“Don’t put him on Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me … and don’t bring him to any more games, OK?” he said.
The protest and rally can be found on Facebook by clicking here and on Twitter trending under the hashtag #LosAngelesisBetterThanDonaldSterling.
Los Angeles is Better Than Donald Sterling Anti-Racism Protest & Rally
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Corner of Figueroa and Pico in Downtown Los Angeles
Metro Blue and Expo Lines Pico Blvd. exit
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- New Woman Claims She’s Prince’s Long-Lost Half Sister; Seeks Piece of Estate
- Donald Trump Mocks Carly Fiorina’s Stage Fall: ‘Anybody See That? She Went Down’
- Malia Obama Takes One-Year Deferment Prior to Harvard Start
- Prince Talks Michael Jackson's Death, Chris Brown in Never-Published 2014 Rolling Stone Interview
- Dixie Chicks Cover Beyonce’s ‘Daddy Lessons’ Despite Song's Nashville Backlash (Watch)
- Prince’s Siblings Attend Packed Hearing; Judge Appoints Special Administrator
- Keke Wyatt's Emotional Cover of Prince’s ‘Diamonds and Pearls’ (Watch)
- Al Sharpton Rips Larry Wilmore’s ‘My N**ga’ Salute to Obama (Watch)
- Justin Lin in Talks to Direct Lebron James in 'Space Jam 2'
- New Daytime Talk Show ‘The Preachers’ to Get Summer Test Run (Video)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here