*OWN likes what it sees in Kym Whitley and Deion Sanders and has doubled down on their reality shows in its Saturday night lineup.
Oprah Winfrey’s network has picked up a Season 2 for “Raising Whitley,” and ordered more episodes of “Deion’s Family Playbook,” the cable channel announced today.
“Raising Whitley,” from Pilgrim Studios, hit a season high with its March 8th finale episode drawing 782,000 total viewers, OWN stated.
The show follows Whitley and her collective of friends – whom she calls “The Village” – as they attempt to do something none of them has ever done before – raise a child together.
“Deion’s Family Playbook,” from Edmonds Entertainment, Prime Time Media Ventures and Rogue Atlas Productions, has averaged 716,000 total viewers, making it the highest rated first season of a series among all reality shows in OWN history, the network stated.
The shows have helped propel OWN’s Saturday night average for women 25-54 up +75% in first quarter 2014 versus one year ago. In addition, OWN had three of the top five original cable series for African-American women 25-54 (“Raising Whitley,” “Deion’s Family Playbook” and “Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s,” which is currently airing in new episodes).
“Deion’s Family Playbook” follows the man they call Primetime, the only pro athlete to ever play in both a Super Bowl and a World Series. Few people knew that Deion is a single father raising five kids of his own, while also helping to raise five other children who live with him, including the twins whom his mother cares for, his niece and nephew and a student in need whom he recently took into his home.
Additionally, Deion is co-founder and football coach of Prime Prep Academy, a charter school that aims to make a lasting impact on the lives of children in underserved areas. With so much on his plate both at school and at home, Deion strives to keep all facets of his chaotic life in balance and under control.
Help is on the way every other week when his girlfriend, Tracey Edmonds, a Hollywood producer who has two sons of her own, comes to visit.
Below, Primetime talks about how his kids feel about being followed around by TV cameras.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Remodeling Your Home: The Risks You Need to Know
- THE (05-02-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here