*Despite being in a ratings free fall for the past several years, “American Idol” has been renewed through season 14, Fox announced Wednesday.
Auditions will begin June 18 in Minneapolis and roll through a total of 15 cities, including Portland, Ore., Columbus, Ohio, Kansas City, Mo., Richmond, Va., Albuquerque, N.M. and more.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, a renewal was never in question, despite a significant season-to-season ratings hemorrhage. “After the January axing of ‘The X Factor,’ Fox was not about to lose that many hours of dependable programming. As for that ratings dip, a 28 percent slide in the key adults 18-49 demographic, this 13th season has seen more and more record lows — but its season average still sees the benefit of heavy sampling during the audition weeks.”
“Idol” wraps the current season on May 21 with judges Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr. We’ve heard rumblings that producers are looking to reunite original judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson for the upcoming season – or perhaps the show’s final season, whenever it takes place – but that talk hasn’t gone past the rumor stage.
Ryan Seacrest, meanwhile, isn’t going anywhere. THR is reporting that he’s nearing a deal to return.
After a recent taping, in-house mentor and former judge Randy told us the three constants that have remained the key to advancement through all 13 seasons:
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: It's Time for Black Leadership to Make Sense
- Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone and Others Portrayed in 'A Night With Janis Joplin'
- The Socialist's Journal: Derek Luke
- Bobby Brown Speaks On Bobbi Kristina’s Death
- Nappywood’s 3rd L.A. Natural Hair & Lifestyle Expo Attracts Stars
- THE (07-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- NYC Principal Commits Suicide After Found Cheating on Common Core Test, DOE Releases Statement (Video)
- Gilbert Arenas' Deadly Accuracy Gets Him Banned From County Fair
- Khloe Kardashian Denies Cocaine Use at Kylie's Graduation Party
- Jill Scott Set to Perform Live on ABC's 'GMA' Tuesday at 7 AM
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here