*Uh oh, there’s bad, bad news for fans of the “Arsenio Hall Show.” To put it bluntly, it’s been cancelled. The show will not continue on for its second season.
Earlier this year we reported that the late-night syndicated program had been renewed show for a second season. However, CBS Television Distribution has instead opted to cancel the series.
“Unfortunately, The Arsenio Hall Show will not return for a second season; while there are many loyal fans of the show, the series did not grow its audience enough to continue,” CBSTVD said in a statement Friday. “Arsenio is a tremendous talent and we’d like to thank him for all the hard work and energy he put into the show. We’d also like to thank Tribune and all our station group partners for their support of the show.”
Here’s what Arsenio had to say about the cancellation:
“When I started this adventure with CTD and Tribune, we all knew it would be a challenge — I’m gratified for the year we’ve had and proud of the show we created. I’d like to thank everyone on my staff for rallying around me and striving to make the best show possible every night.”
The Hollywood Reporter says the decision to backpedal on a renewal comes as station groups Sinclair Broadcast Group, Tribune Co. and LIN Television all downgraded the series from its respective time slots. CBSTVD originally announced a second-season pickup in February, citing that the series is the youngest-skewing late-night talk show and that Hall was “reaching a new generation.”
The show enthusiastically premiered with a respectable 1.5 household rating (and, more importantly, a 1.0 rating among adults 18-49), but the ratings took a dive. The show dropped 60 percent in the key demo within its first several months. A visit from Prince saw ratings spike up 56 percent in March, tying even ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel that night, but it basically boiled down to being too little too late.
Read/learn MORE at Hollywood Reporter.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- The Pulse of Entertainment: MBK’s Glory2Glory Presents Livre’, ‘Jericho: Tribe of Joshua’
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here