*As expected, not everyone received an invite honor Barbara Walters during her final episode of “The View.”
The Huffington Post reports that longtime ABC News anchor Carole Simpson took to Facebook to air out her grievances on Saturday, saying she was “very sad” and is now “very mad” that she wasn’t among the over two dozen women who celebrated Walters’ career on “The View.”
“I guess ABC News, after my 24 years there, still considers me persona non grata,” she wrote.
Simpson long history in the news business is one she says Walters played an important role in. The journalist, who is regarded as being the first African-American woman to anchor a major network newscast, called Walters her “idol” and has spoken in the past about the positive influence the legendary reporter had on shaping her career. Walters and Simpson were colleagues at ABC News in 1982. In 1992, Simpson became the first African-American and female presidential debate moderator.
“The black woman anchor, who had to speak her mind for herself and others, is erased from ABC history,” Simpson stated in her Facebook post.
On Monday, ABC News issued a response to Simpson’s comments. A spokesperson for the show told The Huffington Post that “ABC News had nothing whatsoever to do with producing the tribute to Barbara Walters.”
Carole Simpson’s full post from Facebook:
“I wonder why I wasn’t included among the two dozen network newswomen and anchors who feted Barbara Walters at a private party and then on “The View?” We both worked at NBC and ABC at the same times. She is my idol and I believe she knows that. At first I was very sad and now I am very mad. I guess ABC News, after my 24 years there, still considers me persona non grata. The black woman anchor, who had to speak her mind for herself and others, is erased from ABC history. I will say a solo goodbye to Barbara and ABC news can just…”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dr. Dre Wants 'Beats and Rhymes' Tour with Snoop, Eminem, Kendrick
- Lamar Odom Found Unconscious at Nevada Brothel; Doesn't Look Good: Report
- Najee Alli, NAN Pressure USC to Consider Hiring Black Coach
- [Watch] Teaser Trailer for Jesse Owens Biopic 'Race'
- Danny Sapani Plays ‘Berber the Moor’ in FX’s Drama 'Bastard Executioner'
- Tamera Mowry-Housely Has 'Goosebumps!' (Photos)
- Chris Bosh and Wife Adrienne Expecting Twins
- President Obama Crashes Wedding at San Diego Golf Course (Watch)
- Taraji P. Henson Slays November Cover of Essence
- Suge Knight Sneaks Birthday Message to Son During Court (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here