*As expected, not everyone received an invite honor Barbara Walters during her final episode of “The View.”
The Huffington Post reports that longtime ABC News anchor Carole Simpson took to Facebook to air out her grievances on Saturday, saying she was “very sad” and is now “very mad” that she wasn’t among the over two dozen women who celebrated Walters’ career on “The View.”
“I guess ABC News, after my 24 years there, still considers me persona non grata,” she wrote.
Simpson long history in the news business is one she says Walters played an important role in. The journalist, who is regarded as being the first African-American woman to anchor a major network newscast, called Walters her “idol” and has spoken in the past about the positive influence the legendary reporter had on shaping her career. Walters and Simpson were colleagues at ABC News in 1982. In 1992, Simpson became the first African-American and female presidential debate moderator.
“The black woman anchor, who had to speak her mind for herself and others, is erased from ABC history,” Simpson stated in her Facebook post.
On Monday, ABC News issued a response to Simpson’s comments. A spokesperson for the show told The Huffington Post that “ABC News had nothing whatsoever to do with producing the tribute to Barbara Walters.”
Carole Simpson’s full post from Facebook:
“I wonder why I wasn’t included among the two dozen network newswomen and anchors who feted Barbara Walters at a private party and then on “The View?” We both worked at NBC and ABC at the same times. She is my idol and I believe she knows that. At first I was very sad and now I am very mad. I guess ABC News, after my 24 years there, still considers me persona non grata. The black woman anchor, who had to speak her mind for herself and others, is erased from ABC history. I will say a solo goodbye to Barbara and ABC news can just…”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- ‘The Real’: Loni Love, Jeannie Mai Show Love to Former Co-host Tamar Braxton
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Baby Fat Shamed As 'Stuff Curry' Becomes Internet Favorite
- PA Judge Rules Bill Cosby Trial Can Proceed on All Charges
- Prince Fans Confused After Minnesota Declares ‘Beyonce Day’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here