*Apple has officially announced that it has purchased Dr. Dre’s Beats Electronics for $3 billion.
With iTunes sales slowing, the move gives Apple something it desperately needs to compete in today’s digital music world – a subscription music service.
While Apple’s App Store revenue is increasing, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty notes that iTunes revenue is falling as users turn to streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify to meet their music needs.
Spotify, which is generally viewed as the leader in streaming music, has 10 million paying subscribers or about 25% of its over 40 million active user base. If Apple charges $10 per month, same as Spotify, every 1% penetration of Apple’s 800 million user base, equates to $960 million revenue annually, adding 8 pts of growth to online services and half a point to total company growth.
In addition to bringing a streaming music service under the iTunes umbrella, the deal also brings veteran music producer Jimmy Iovine and producer Dr. Dre to Apple. The pair are considered to be the “big prizes” of the acquisition and could help Apple negotiate favorable music deals.
As previously reported, Dre spilled the beans earlier this month when he appeared in a YouTube video touting himself as rap’s first billionaire due to the deal.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Here’s why the Alleged Planned Parenthood Killer Isn’t called a Domestic Terrorist
- Pilar Sanders Will Have to Pay Deion Sanders $2.2M and Go Back to Jail
- Police Erased Video of Laquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here