*Musician/actor Kid Cudi (Scott Mescudi) was honored by the Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services at the 18th Annual Erasing the Stigma Awards.
Blues musician and Freshwire CEO Shawn Amos was co-chair of the awards.
This year’s awards honored public figures who presented powerful messages about mental illness awareness on social media — and Mescudi was one of those public figures.
500 donors and supporters attended the awards ceremony — it raised more $1 million in the last three years alone.
The money provides quality mental health, substance abuse, and suicide prevention services to 90,000 individuals year-round.
“These Awards celebrate people who have broken the silence. People from all walks of life have mental illnesses and are living full, productive lives, but stigma keeps them from talking about it,” said Kita Curry, president and CEO of Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services.
“We hope more people will join Didi Hirsch and our #erasingthestigma movement so we can change perceptions about mental illness. No one should feel alone; no one should be afraid to get treatment,” she added.
Mescudi performed “Pursuit of Happiness” at the end of the evening. He was recognized as a Mental Health Ambassador. He helped depressed and suicidal youth through the power of music.
But that’s not the only good Mescudi will be doing for mental health services. He joined Didi Hirsch’s Erasing the Stigma Campaign.
And the Erasing the Stigma Project kicked off on Tumblr for the campaign.
As for fundraising at the event, about $350,000 was collected in order to erase the stigma and raise awareness about mental illness.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Man Who Read Book at Beyonce Concert Explains; Reveals Title
- Video of Prince’s Emergency Landing in Illinois Released (Watch)
- ‘Empire’s’ Trai Byers, Grace Gealey Share Honeymoon Pics from Europe
- Faith Evans, Eric Benet, Aloe Blacc Added to Prince Tribute in L.A.
- Adele Stops Her Concert to Praise Beyonce; Calls Her ‘Jesus F***ing Christ’ (Watch)
- Why You Suddenly Heard Prince Music on ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘Scandal’
- 7-Year-Old Girl Wins Handwriting Competition With No Hands
- Blac Chyna, Rob Kardashian Confirm Pregnancy with Baby Bump Emoji
- Elise Neal, Eriq LaSalle Join Hugh Jackman in ‘Wolverine 3’
- La La Anthony, Monica Calhoun, Yvette Nicole Brown Join BET’s 'New Edition: The Movie'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here