*Musician/actor Kid Cudi (Scott Mescudi) was honored by the Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services at the 18th Annual Erasing the Stigma Awards.
Blues musician and Freshwire CEO Shawn Amos was co-chair of the awards.
This year’s awards honored public figures who presented powerful messages about mental illness awareness on social media — and Mescudi was one of those public figures.
500 donors and supporters attended the awards ceremony — it raised more $1 million in the last three years alone.
The money provides quality mental health, substance abuse, and suicide prevention services to 90,000 individuals year-round.
“These Awards celebrate people who have broken the silence. People from all walks of life have mental illnesses and are living full, productive lives, but stigma keeps them from talking about it,” said Kita Curry, president and CEO of Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services.
“We hope more people will join Didi Hirsch and our #erasingthestigma movement so we can change perceptions about mental illness. No one should feel alone; no one should be afraid to get treatment,” she added.
Mescudi performed “Pursuit of Happiness” at the end of the evening. He was recognized as a Mental Health Ambassador. He helped depressed and suicidal youth through the power of music.
But that’s not the only good Mescudi will be doing for mental health services. He joined Didi Hirsch’s Erasing the Stigma Campaign.
And the Erasing the Stigma Project kicked off on Tumblr for the campaign.
As for fundraising at the event, about $350,000 was collected in order to erase the stigma and raise awareness about mental illness.
- $2 Million Lawsuit Filed Against Former NBA Player Tyrone Hill
- Chicago’s Tragic, Unending 4th of July Gun Violence Ritual Continues
- The Socialist's Journal: The Peril of Being Hillary Clinton
- Gunshots Damage 3 Luxury Cars At Studio Connected with Rick Ross
- THE (07-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here