*As previously reported, Queen Latifah and her mom Rita Owens open up to People magazine about Rita’s scleroderma diagnosis last year that was kept private until now.
The incurable autoimmune disease has caused scar tissue build up (pulmonary fibrosis) in her lungs. Owens, 64, also has pulmonary hypertension (blood pressure in the lungs), which impacts her ability to breathe.
As Latifah was in pre-production for her syndicated daytime talk show, “The Queen Latifah Show,” last spring, the entertainer was also preparing to take charge of her mother’s round-the-clock medical needs.
“I wasn’t going to do the show unless she came here,” Latifah tells People in its latest issue. “I knew she was dealing with her health issues sometimes and I would not be able to get to her as easily.”
Despite the challenges caring for someone who’s ill, Latifah, 44, says she can’t imagine anyone else looking after her mother.
“Anyone who has a job and then has a family member at home who is ill, it’s 24 hours. You have to be there. They need you,” says Latifah, who enlisted friends and family members to help out while she’s at work. “I try to be as in the moment and as present as possible. And then I try to get some sleep and go to work and be present there and then go home and be present there.”
“It’s not a day or night that she doesn’t peek her head in my room and make sure I’m okay,” says Owens, a former high school teacher. “If it’s medical she’ll go in and grill the doctors and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to do. She sacrifices her time, her resources. She genuinely loves me and I know that.”
More from Latifah and her mother, including details on Owens’ condition and her treatment, are in the new issue of People, on newsstands today.
- Ice & Coco Expecting Baby Girl, Talk is Key to a Successful Marriage (VIDEO)
- Thursday's First Republican Debate Line Up Released
- Joe Jackson Out of the Hospital After Stroke
- Woman Sues Lee Daniels for $300M Claiming She Inspired Cookie Role
- Banned from Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral, Nick Gordon Mourns on Beach
- Jadeveon Clowney’s Dad Charged with Attempted Murder
- Two Dead, Several Hurt at After Party for Drake’s OVO Fest
- Former Detroit Lions RB Mel Farr Dies at 70
- Craig Robinson, Amandla Stenberg & Megan Good in NBC's 'Mr. Robinson' (Watch!)
- Lenny Kravitz Plays Through Severe Wardrobe Malfunction (NSFW Video)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here