*The District of Columbia, in recognition of Black Music Month (June), will pay tribute to native son Marvin P. Gaye Jr., with a major musical concert at the Historic Lincoln Theatre, 1215 U Street, N.W. on June 14, 2014, 7:00 to 10:00 PM, presenting artists who were heavily influenced by Marvin and his music.
The concert line-up will feature performances by Soul on Point, the Marvin Gaye Tribute Band headed by Gordon Banks (Marvin’s former music director), The Sounds of DC and Mama (Sandy) Morgan.
The line-up will also include DC’s own, The Jewels, The Marquees (Marvin’s original singing group) and rising super-star Maimouna Yousef.
The highlight of the evening will be a special performance by the Legendary Funk Brothers, headed by Jack Ashford. The Funk Brothers is the band that backed Marvin on all of his Motown recordings.
This year’s event is being sponsored by the African American Music Association (AAMA), in partnership with the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities and DC Cares. Proceeds from the event will go towards supporting the youth scholarship programs of the AAMA and the DC Cares artist relief fund.
Born April 2, 1939 in Washington, DC, Marvin P. Gaye, Jr. grew to become one of the most noted artists of the Motown sound. His music, especially that of his critically acclaimed What’s Going On album (Motown 1971), which included the songs “Save the Children” and “Inner City Blues,” transcends time and generational limitations with its messages of love, peace and global consciousness. AAMA Executive Director Saleem Hylton said that “Because of what’s going on in the world today, Marvin’s music is as relevant now as it was when he created it. The AAMA is committed to keeping Marvin’s legacy alive by continuing to present this quality event to the community.”
Tickets for the event are available at the Lincoln Theatre box office at 202-888-0050 or web site http://www.thelincolndc.com. For further information please contact Saleem Hylton at (301) 395-0459 or e-mail at [email protected]
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Roots' Star Anika Noni Rose: 'We Need To Hear About Our Holocaust' [EUR Exclusive]
- Kelly Rowland Talks Beyonce, Being 'Psycho' Mom, Her Mother's Death (Watch)
- Are Micro-credentials the Next Best Thing for a CV? (Infographic)
- Tamar Braxton Fired, BET Award Nominations, Madonna Prince Tribute and More! | BHL's This Week
- TV One Renews Docu-Series 'Rickey Smiley For Real'
- NBAer Richard Jefferson’s Reckless Spending Caused Loss of Millions: Ex-Manager
- Vivian Green Releases Music Video for 'Grown Folks Music'
- Black Greek Lesbians Hijack Traditions of Omega Psi Phi
- 'The Haves and The Have Nots' Return with a Bang [WATCH]
- 'One More Time' - New CD by Larry Buford
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here