*If you’ve been around for awhile, you’ll remember the late night infomercials on the Psychic Readers Network. You may recall one psychic reader who wore a turban, and offered Jamaican-themed readings.
In fact, it was her eccentricity that helped make her a notorious pop culture personality.
From 1997 to 2003, Miss Cleo worked for the Psychic Readers Network and those interested in getting a glimpse into their future through her tarot card reading could call a pay-by-the-minute line.
But it all came crashing down in 2002 when an onslaught of lawsuits against the network gave way to closer scrutiny of its partners, and Miss Cleo was found out to be a fake. Not so much as a psychic (you’d have to ask those she gave readings to); but she wasn’t actually Jamaican. Instead, her real name was Youree Dell Harris and she was born in Los Angeles. Her parents were U.S. citizens, though likely of Jamaican descent.
But it was in 2006 that the life of the woman known as Miss Cleo took its most significant turn. She decided to come out of the closet as a lesbian; a revelation that many in her family did not take well.
Read more at EURThisNThat.
- 'Slave Trade' Video Game Altered After Social Media Backlash
- Michel'le Back with New Single: 'It's Nothing' (LISTEN)
- ‘Welcome to Death Row’ Shopped as a Sequel to ‘Straight Outta Compton’
- EUR Chats with 'The Perfect Guy' Cast: Lathan, Ealy & Chestnut (WATCH)
- ‘Being Mary Jane’ Season 3 to Feature Loretta Devine and Jill Scott (WATCH)
- Teen About to Start College, Accidentally Kills Himself Taking Selfie (Watch)
- Serena Highlighted with Inspirational Commercial and Mural (WATCH)
- Trump Casino Worker: Blacks Hidden When the Donald Visited
- Fox News' Megyn Kelly Goes in on #BlackLivesMatter Supporter (WATCH)
- People of Note: Jazz at Lincoln Center Opens their 28th Season in the Bronx
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here