*If you’ve been around for awhile, you’ll remember the late night infomercials on the Psychic Readers Network. You may recall one psychic reader who wore a turban, and offered Jamaican-themed readings.
In fact, it was her eccentricity that helped make her a notorious pop culture personality.
From 1997 to 2003, Miss Cleo worked for the Psychic Readers Network and those interested in getting a glimpse into their future through her tarot card reading could call a pay-by-the-minute line.
But it all came crashing down in 2002 when an onslaught of lawsuits against the network gave way to closer scrutiny of its partners, and Miss Cleo was found out to be a fake. Not so much as a psychic (you’d have to ask those she gave readings to); but she wasn’t actually Jamaican. Instead, her real name was Youree Dell Harris and she was born in Los Angeles. Her parents were U.S. citizens, though likely of Jamaican descent.
But it was in 2006 that the life of the woman known as Miss Cleo took its most significant turn. She decided to come out of the closet as a lesbian; a revelation that many in her family did not take well.
Read more at EURThisNThat.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Drake Getting Sued By Producer Detail Over Broken Jaw Assault
- Watch: Hundreds Gather to Support Wealthy Black Family Victimized by 'Hate Crime'
- 'Concrete Park' Collides with 'Blokhedz' at Harvard University
- Yodovo.com Encourages Blacks: Be Loud, Black and Proud
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- 'Ice Age' Interview: 'Hit This...We're Done Anyways' - Wanda Sykes (WATCH)
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here