*According to Nigeria-based Ventures financial magazine, Africa has way more billionaires than previously assumed, 55 to be exact.
There are currently three female billionaires in Africa including the mother of Kenya’s president, a daughter (Isabel dos Santos) of Angola’s president, and a Nigerian oil tycoon and fashion designer.
Ventures reports Nigeria’s richest resident, Aliko Dangote, is worth $20.2bn. Correspondents feel that the list may spark another debate over the imbalance in Africa between rich and poor people.
The World Bank reported in April that in Africa there are 414 million people living in extreme poverty; a rise from 205 million over the past three decades.
Research group Afrobarometer reported that only a small elite group of people have benefited from the economic growth in Africa.
“If you have a lot of money, there are a lot of people that you have to support so we think people may be a little reluctant to be all splashy about what they have and what their assets are,” says Uzo Iweala Ventures editor-in-chief.
This marks the first list of rich Africans that Ventures magazine has reported.
The 55 billionaires it has identified are more numerous than the 16 super rich Africans listed by US financial magazine Forbes last year.
For more on this story go to BBC.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Iyanla Vanzant Interview | Black Hollywood Lives' Conversations (Watch)
- Here’s How the Man Murdoch Calls a 'Real Black President' Will Govern
- Karrueche Says Career Suffering Because Of Chris Brown
- Nicki Minaj Ends Interview After 'Rude' Questions About Drake, Meek Mill
- Fox Orders 3 More Episodes of Morris Chestnut’s ‘Rosewood’
- Rupert Murdock...Seriously? You're Going to Define Whose 'Really Black'
- Jennifer Hudson Opens Up About Murder of Family Members
- #BlackTwitter Comes for Piers Morgan Over ‘I Love My Whiteness’
- Matt Barnes: I Was Checking On My Kids, Not Confronting Derek Fisher
- Ben Carson Now Blaming the Holocaust on Gun Control (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here