*The Department of Justice may still be investigating Trayvon Martin’s case to see whether his civil rights were violated, but a former friend of the man acquitted of the teen’s murder has changed his opinion about George Zimmerman’s innocence.
In an interview with News 13 Orlando, Frank Taaffe said that Zimmerman should have been found guilty of Martin’s murder. According to him, race did play a role in the tragedy.
“My opinion is that he racially profiled Trayvon Martin that night because if that had been a white kid on a cell phone, walking through our neighborhood, he wouldn’t have stayed on him like he did, and that’s a fact and I believe that in my heart,” Taaffe said.
Taaffe’s change of heart directly conflicts with past comments he made in interviews about the case and Zimmerman.
“He wanted to ensure the safety in the community that he lived in and he became the victim,” Taaffe told News 13 in May 2012
The death of his brother and his two sons were the factors behind Taaffe changing his stance. Both death emotionally impacted Taaffe, who now asks for forgiveness for how he felt in the past.
“I can only ask for the country to forgive me and today I believe he racially profiled him based on the color of his skin,” he said while expressing his condolences to Martin’s parents. “I’m sorry that you lost your son. I know what that’s like and I wish things were different.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Woman Crashes Own Funeral, Shocking Husband Who Paid to Have Her Killed
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here