*The long-planned market screening of “Nina,” a biopic about legendary jazz singer Nina Simone starring Zoe Saldana, went ahead May 15 despite a lawsuit filed by director Cynthia Mort claiming its British production company has hijacked the film.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the suit was filed May 14 in Los Angeles, just hours before U.K. sales and finance banner Metro International screened the film for buyers. Mort alleges producer Ealing Studios Enterprises, has breached the terms of her director deal by cutting her out of the final editing process. She seeks a court ruling requiring her inclusion.
According to the complaint, Mort, a well-known TV writer (“Roseanne,” “Will & Grace”) making her feature directorial debut, spent years getting the project off the ground but was frozen out of key decisions as the $10 million to $12 million project neared completion.
“It’s a passion project for everyone involved and we’re disappointed with what has happened,” responds one source close to the production. “The lawsuit is factually inaccurate. We’re considering our options but the film has gone over well. Zoe Saldana has done a terrific job.”
By the way, buyers polled by The Hollywood Reporter after the screening say they liked the film they saw.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Bobby Shurmda Denied Bail, Will Stay in Jail Until Feb Trial Date
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here