*You already know…when someone says “no shade” after a comment, it most certainly means shade – and a rainforest full of it.
“You guys this is always very, very emotional for me because this is my fifth year winning this award, and I don’t take it for granted. I really don’t,” said Nicki Minaj during her long acceptance speech for Best Female Hip Hop Artist at Sunday’s BET Awards. “I thank God that I’ve been placed in a position to represent women in a culture that is so male driven. And I want you to know this. I’m working on an album called the ‘Pink Print,’ but that’s not a plug, but it’s a plug. But my point is, what I want the world to know about Nicki Minaj is when you hear Nicki Minaj spit, Nicki Minaj wrote it.”
That was an obvious shot at Australian rapper Iggy Azalea, whose song “Fancy” – which Iggy had just performed on stage – has been No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 since June 7, and has spent a total of 16 weeks on the chart.
And lest there be any confusion, Minaj tilted her head, pursed her lips and tossed her weave – leaving no doubt she was impersonating Azalea.
“And, no, no no, no, no. No shade,” Minaj said. …She all but winked while saying it.
The main knock against Iggy has been inauthenticity. She has an Australian accent, but raps in a cadence and style straight from Charli Baltimore.
Also in Minaj’s speech, she spoke about how she recently had a brush with death.
“The other day, literally I didn’t tell anyone this, I really thought I was about to die,” she said. “Like I was saying my prayers to die. And I didn’t even wanna call the ambulance because I thought, ‘Well, if I call the ambulance, it’s gonna be on TMZ.’ And I would rather sit there and die…and it made me realize, I don’t care what anybody gotta say. I’ma do me, I’ma do me. And I hope and pray that BET continues to honor authenticity.”
Watch her entire speech below.
- Bobbi Kristina’s Brother Comes Down on 'Morbid' Twitter Followers
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Tons of Laughs with Vacation; Stars Ed Helms and Christina Applegate as the Griswolds
- James Arawole Launches Crowdfunding Campaign for Young Adult Novel on Struggles of Black Teens Living with Type-1 Diabetes
- With Iran Deal in Trouble, White House Reaching Out to Liberals for Support
- Atlanta Group MAKO Girls' Prep for Summer Promo Tour
- THE (07-31-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- LAPD on #100days100nights: 'Things Have Calmed Down'
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here