*You already know…when someone says “no shade” after a comment, it most certainly means shade – and a rainforest full of it.
“You guys this is always very, very emotional for me because this is my fifth year winning this award, and I don’t take it for granted. I really don’t,” said Nicki Minaj during her long acceptance speech for Best Female Hip Hop Artist at Sunday’s BET Awards. “I thank God that I’ve been placed in a position to represent women in a culture that is so male driven. And I want you to know this. I’m working on an album called the ‘Pink Print,’ but that’s not a plug, but it’s a plug. But my point is, what I want the world to know about Nicki Minaj is when you hear Nicki Minaj spit, Nicki Minaj wrote it.”
That was an obvious shot at Australian rapper Iggy Azalea, whose song “Fancy” – which Iggy had just performed on stage – has been No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 since June 7, and has spent a total of 16 weeks on the chart.
And lest there be any confusion, Minaj tilted her head, pursed her lips and tossed her weave – leaving no doubt she was impersonating Azalea.
“And, no, no no, no, no. No shade,” Minaj said. …She all but winked while saying it.
The main knock against Iggy has been inauthenticity. She has an Australian accent, but raps in a cadence and style straight from Charli Baltimore.
Also in Minaj’s speech, she spoke about how she recently had a brush with death.
“The other day, literally I didn’t tell anyone this, I really thought I was about to die,” she said. “Like I was saying my prayers to die. And I didn’t even wanna call the ambulance because I thought, ‘Well, if I call the ambulance, it’s gonna be on TMZ.’ And I would rather sit there and die…and it made me realize, I don’t care what anybody gotta say. I’ma do me, I’ma do me. And I hope and pray that BET continues to honor authenticity.”
Watch her entire speech below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- R&B Soul Jazz Singer Kenya Covers 'Little Drummer Boy' (Listen)
- T-Pain to Larry King on Why He's 'Done with Making Hits!’
- Erykah Badu on Azealia Banks Beef: 'We Can Spiral Out of Control With Style'
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to His Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here