*It’s all official now.
Universal Pictures released a photo of the confirmed cast of its N.W.A. biopic “Straight Outta Compton,” and announced Wednesday that the movie will be released on Friday, Aug. 14, 2015—with actor Corey Hawkins in the role of Dr. Dre, not Marcus Callender, as previously rumored.
Universal had originally slotted Aug. 14 for the next “Bourne” film, but that has now been moved to 2016.
The above First Look photo shows the new leads with the film’s producers and director.
As previously reported, the younger version of Ice Cube will be played by his 23-year-old son, O’Shea Jackson Jr. He joins Jason Mitchell, who reportedly earned the role of Eazy-E after an out-of-the-park screen test. The New Orleans-based actor has played small roles in “Broken City” and “Contraband.”
Hawkins, who will play Dr. Dre, was last seen in the Orlando Bloom-Condola Rashad production of Romeo and Juliet on Broadway, in which he played Tybalt. He has also appeared in “Non-Stop” and “Iron Man 3.”
Producers Cube, Dre and Eazy-E’s widow Tomica Wright had to sign off on the actors who will play the core members of the rap group, and also held script veto power.
The long-delayed project is set in mid-1980s Compton, following how five young men translated their experiences growing up in the hood into brutally honest music that rebelled against abusive authority, gave an explosive voice to a silenced generation, and revolutionized music and pop culture forever, while igniting a cultural war.
F. Gary Gray will direct the drama, and Matt Alvarez will also produce. Will Packer serves as executive producer of the film alongside Gray, off a script overhaul by Jonathan Herman.
The film previously had scripts by Alan Wenkus, S. Leigh Savidge and Andrea Berloff.
Universal shot a sequence in spring 2013 in Los Angeles in order to qualify for California’s film tax credit, which is set to expire.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Afrika Bambaataa Now Accused of Molesting Hundreds of Boys
- Prince Offered to Mentor Chris Brown After Rihanna Incident
- OWN Staff Blindsided by Exit of Oprah’s Longtime Confident Sheri Salata (Report)
- FoxNews.Com Pulls Comment Section of Malia Obama Story After Racists Take Over
- Pres. Obama Drinks Filtered Flint Water to Show It's Safe (Watch)
- Blake Shelton Curses Out Beyonce’s Country Haters (Watch)
- Report: Janet Jackson Pregnant With First Child at Nearly 50
- Radio Stations Nationwide to Simulcast Prince’s ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ on Wed
- Woman Stabs Boyfriend For Not Getting Her a Valentine’s Gift (Video)
- Attorney for Prince's Addiction Specialist Explains Pills Found in His Medical Bag (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here