*Sarah Palin pounced on headlines Tuesday that Hillary Clinton – currently on the talk show rounds promoting her new book – revealed that President Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign team wanted her to attack the former vice-presidential candidate for being a woman when she was first announced as John McCain’s running mate.
“The day she was nominated, the Obama campaign did contact me and asked me if I would attack her. I said, ‘Attack her for what? For being a woman? Attack her for being on a ticket that’s trying to draw attention? There’ll be plenty of time to do what I think we should do in politics, which is draw distinctions,’ ” Clinton told NBC News’ Cynthia McFadden in an interview that aired on Tuesday’s “NBC Nightly News.”
Clinton made similar remarks on Tuesday’s “Good Morning America,” where she sat down for an interview with Robin Roberts. The former (and potentially future) presidential candidate confirmed to GMA that she was asked by the Obama campaign to “go out and criticize” Palin the day she was selected as McCain’s running mate.
“I said, ‘No, let’s wait until we know where she stands. I don’t know anything about her, do you know anything about her?’ And nobody of course did,” Clinton recalled. “I think it’s fair to say, I made it clear I’m not going to attack somebody for being a woman or a man. I’m going to try to look at the issues, where they stand, what their experience is, what they intend to do — then that’s fair game.”
Clinton told McFadden that the White House had reviewed her newly released memoir, Hard Choices, before publication and didn’t ask her to take anything out.
Clinton refers to the Palin incident in the book, writing, according to CBS News, “[The Obama camp] immediately issued a dismissive statement and reached out to me in hopes I would follow suit. But I wouldn’t. I was not going to attack Palin just for being a woman appealing for support from other women. I didn’t think it made political sense, and it didn’t feel right. So I said no…”
Of course, Palin took this information and ran to Twitter:
Look who fired the 1st shot in the real “war on women”. Hint: it wasn’t the GOP. See this excerpt from Hillary’s book pic.twitter.com/kKBShf9vHj
— Sarah Palin (@SarahPalinUSA) June 9, 2014
Watch Hillary Clinton’s interviews with NBC News and ABC News below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Baby Fat Shamed As 'Stuff Curry' Becomes Internet Favorite
- PA Judge Rules Bill Cosby Trial Can Proceed on All Charges
- Prince Fans Confused After Minnesota Declares ‘Beyonce Day’
- Bishop Eddie Long To Discuss Struggles During Sex Scandal on ‘Steve Harvey’
- Erica Campbell: 'I Didn't Takeover' Yolanda Adams' Radio Slot [EUR Exclusive]
- Mike Epps Shows it's Never Too Late: Graduates High School at 45
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here