*Starz‘s latest original drama series, “Power,” premiered on Saturday with 462,000 viewers at 9 p.m., and a total of 1.27 million for the three Saturday night airings and 2.022 million for the nine weekend airings on Saturday and Sunday, reports Deadline.com.
To put that in perspective, the numbers were down from Starz’s most recent debut, pirate drama “Black Sails,” which launched in January with 846,000; 1.7 million and 2.6 million, respectively; and roughly on par with last August’s opening of limited series “The White Queen” (416,000 for the premiere airing; 2.1 million for premiere weekend).
Like “The White Queen,” the debut weekend of “Power,” executive produced by Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, included an airing on sister channel Encore, which drew 150,000 extra viewers vs. 500,000 for “The White Queen.”
With that and Power’s multiplatform sampling from the week-long on-demand and online sampling campaign, which yielded an additional 480,000 viewers, the total viewership for the first episode is 2.6 million to date.
Additionally, the premiere logged Starz’s youngest demos since “Spartacus: War Of The Damned” and an evenly balanced gender split (45% Women 18+, 48% Men 18+), which is rare for the male skewing pay cable network.
“Power” stars Omari Hardwick as a New York drug kingpin looking to go legit by becoming the city’s nightclub king.
Watch the trailer for episode 2 below:
- Photos: Usher and Miguel Host 5th Post BET Awards Party [Look: Photo Gallery]
- Fantasia Reunites With Husband, Faces Tax Lien
- NAACP President Compares Bree Newsome to Rosa Parks
- Doctors Warn of Health Risks from Wearing Skinny Jeans
- Eva Longoria to Donald Trump: ‘You Must Expect a Backlash’ (Watch)
- Warrant Issued for Florida State QB De’Andre Johnson
- K. Michelle Comes for SWV’s Coko; Tamar Gets Memed Over BET Performance
- Kirk Frost of 'L&HHA' Arrested at Dirt Bike Rally
- ‘BET Awards’ Ratings Down From Chris Rock-Hosted 2014 Ceremony
- Cheryl Burke Quits as Miss USA Co-Host Over Trump’s Comments
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here