All signs seem to point in that direction, according to SFBay, which cited comments made by Jackson during a shoot-around on a road trip before Jason Collins signed with the Brooklyn Nets in February.
Collins, the first openly gay player in the NBA, was mentioned after a joke was made about the signing of former Warriors assistant coach Brian Scalabrine to a 10-day contract. A source close to the Warriors, mentioned Jackson’s response being “Not in my locker room.”
“I will say this. We live in a country that allows you to be whoever you want to be. As a Christian man, I serve a God that gives you free will to be who you want to be,” he said. “As a Christian man, I have beliefs of what’s right and what’s wrong. That being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family, and am certainly praying for them at this time.”
Jackson’s remarks were in direct conflict with Warriors president Rick Welts, who voiced his support of Collins after the athlete announced he was gay in 2013. Welts is noted for being the only openly gay, high-ranking executive in the NBA.
Chatting with KQED’s Scott Shafer in February, Welts said he was disappointed with Jackson’s comments, but that they had a conversation about it:
“I think that was in some way taken out of context … He probably didn’t say it exactly the way he wished he’d said it at the time so it did disappoint me. Since then we’ve certainly talked it out and we’re in a good place,” Welts said.
Despite the speculation, Welts has currently remained silent on the situation. Warriors owner Joe Lacob, who previously stated that Jackson’s firing had nothing to do with his religious beliefs, provided no further insight into reason behind the former coach’s termination.
“I have no comment,” he told SFBay. “We have moved on. I have made my statements.”
- A Blunted Out Snoop Doog Blasts Tom Brady NFL Victory: BULLSH*T! (Watch)
- Rihanna Goes Braless in New Dior Magazine Spread (Pics)
- Janet Jackson to Debut New Song on Beats 1; Reveals ‘Unbreakable’ Tracklist
- Idris Elba Responds to James Bond Author Saying He’s ‘Too Street’
- Check Out New 'Bridge' Clip from cartel-thriller SICARIO (Watch)
- NYU Removes Bill Cosby’s Name from Film Workshop Program
- Donald Trump to Kareem Abdul Jabbar: ‘You Don’t Have a Clue About Life’
- 'Slave Trade' Video Game Altered After Social Media Backlash
- Michel'le Back with New Single: 'It's Nothing' (LISTEN)
- ‘Welcome to Death Row’ Shopped as a Sequel to ‘Straight Outta Compton’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here