Smiley has been doing his thing as a comedian and radio personality with “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show,” “The Rickey Smiley Show” on TV One, and “Dish Nation.”
Smiley dished about fatherhood and building his brand to the magazine.
Although starting off was a struggle like it is for most artists, Smiley found much success.
“I’ve just had some great and wonderful opportunities but my opportunities now are just going through the roof. I have a diction coach now. I’ve been practicing. I read the teleprompter every day so I’m prepared,” he said.
Smiley acknowledged comedy is different these days — in order to be successful.
“It’s not about telling jokes anymore. You have to be a great storyteller. You got to bring people into your neighborhood. You got to be animated and years of experience [will] get you into that space and you just crack people up. And don’t take yourself so serious. That’s what brought on my success,” he said.
And Smiley’s success is ever-growing — having many offers while he builds his brand.
“I am excited about building the Rickey Smiley brand. I love having a sitcom and working on the set all day. I love having a syndicated radio show, getting up every morning and making people laugh all over the country and then taping Dish Nation. It’s hard work and that’s what it takes to get to the top and we’re on our way,” he said.
But his career is only an aspect of his life, he’s also a very active father.
“I enjoy being the best father I can be and being an awesome father to the fatherless. My dad was murdered and taken away from me when I was 7 so I know what it’s like growing up without a dad,” he said. “To be able to fill that void for somebody else is just incredible. I would actually pay money to do it.”
Watch the behind-the-scenes below:
- Cynthia Bailey Could Be Demoted on 'Housewives' for Kicking Porsha
- Bokeem Woodbine Looking Like Shaft in ‘Fargo’ Season 2
- Louisiana Cop Exposed in KKK Photo Still On Force; Refuses to Resign
- Man Found With O.J. Simpson’s Stolen Heisman Trophy Arrested
- Afroman Avoids Jail After Punching a Woman in the Face
- ‘The Voice’ Beef: Gwen Stefani Not Happy With Rihanna’s ‘Advisor’ Role?
- Wendy Williams ‘Disappointed’ in Nicki Minaj Checking Miley Cyrus (Watch)
- Deborah Cox Joins Off-Broadway Play about Transgender Identity
- Farrah Franklin (Destiny's Child) Officially Debuts with Sexy New Single: 'Magic and Makeup'
- Black Family Says They Received Racist Threats During Camping Trip
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here