Smiley has been doing his thing as a comedian and radio personality with “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show,” “The Rickey Smiley Show” on TV One, and “Dish Nation.”
Smiley dished about fatherhood and building his brand to the magazine.
Although starting off was a struggle like it is for most artists, Smiley found much success.
“I’ve just had some great and wonderful opportunities but my opportunities now are just going through the roof. I have a diction coach now. I’ve been practicing. I read the teleprompter every day so I’m prepared,” he said.
Smiley acknowledged comedy is different these days — in order to be successful.
“It’s not about telling jokes anymore. You have to be a great storyteller. You got to bring people into your neighborhood. You got to be animated and years of experience [will] get you into that space and you just crack people up. And don’t take yourself so serious. That’s what brought on my success,” he said.
And Smiley’s success is ever-growing — having many offers while he builds his brand.
“I am excited about building the Rickey Smiley brand. I love having a sitcom and working on the set all day. I love having a syndicated radio show, getting up every morning and making people laugh all over the country and then taping Dish Nation. It’s hard work and that’s what it takes to get to the top and we’re on our way,” he said.
But his career is only an aspect of his life, he’s also a very active father.
“I enjoy being the best father I can be and being an awesome father to the fatherless. My dad was murdered and taken away from me when I was 7 so I know what it’s like growing up without a dad,” he said. “To be able to fill that void for somebody else is just incredible. I would actually pay money to do it.”
Watch the behind-the-scenes below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Demolition of Aretha Franklin’s Birth Home Postponed
- Overcoming Dating Burnout: How to Thrive in the Deprived Dating Scene
- Daddy & Daughter Release Book for Brooklyn, NYC Tourists
- THE (07-01-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Nia Long on ‘Boyz n the Hood’ 25th Anniversary & Becoming an Oscar Voter (WATCH)
- Birdman: 'I Got A Million Dollars Under My Mattress'
- #DeyaDoesEssence! Meet Me in the Big Easy!
- Stacey Dash Filed for Bankruptcy in 2004, Had $7 in Bank Before Fiance’s Handouts
- Racist Woman to Reporter: ‘Get the F*ck Out of Here, You Stupid F*cking N*gger’ (WATCH)
- Damon Dash Explains Issue with BeyHive Harassing His Daughters
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here