Smiley has been doing his thing as a comedian and radio personality with “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show,” “The Rickey Smiley Show” on TV One, and “Dish Nation.”
Smiley dished about fatherhood and building his brand to the magazine.
Although starting off was a struggle like it is for most artists, Smiley found much success.
“I’ve just had some great and wonderful opportunities but my opportunities now are just going through the roof. I have a diction coach now. I’ve been practicing. I read the teleprompter every day so I’m prepared,” he said.
Smiley acknowledged comedy is different these days — in order to be successful.
“It’s not about telling jokes anymore. You have to be a great storyteller. You got to bring people into your neighborhood. You got to be animated and years of experience [will] get you into that space and you just crack people up. And don’t take yourself so serious. That’s what brought on my success,” he said.
And Smiley’s success is ever-growing — having many offers while he builds his brand.
“I am excited about building the Rickey Smiley brand. I love having a sitcom and working on the set all day. I love having a syndicated radio show, getting up every morning and making people laugh all over the country and then taping Dish Nation. It’s hard work and that’s what it takes to get to the top and we’re on our way,” he said.
But his career is only an aspect of his life, he’s also a very active father.
“I enjoy being the best father I can be and being an awesome father to the fatherless. My dad was murdered and taken away from me when I was 7 so I know what it’s like growing up without a dad,” he said. “To be able to fill that void for somebody else is just incredible. I would actually pay money to do it.”
Watch the behind-the-scenes below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Keke Palmer Denies Joining 'The Real' - Tamar in Tears Over Firing (WATCH)
- 'Presenting Princess Shaw' Film Review + Trailer [WATCH]
- Motown Gospel Presents 1 Mic 1 Take [email protected] Studios
- Khloe Kardashian Doesn't Believe in Divorce, Still Getting One Anyway
- Ex-Cop Sues NYPD for $100M Over Abusive Boss & Former Lover
- 'Roots' Star Anika Noni Rose: 'We Need To Hear About Our Holocaust' [EUR Exclusive]
- Kelly Rowland Talks Beyonce, Being 'Psycho' Mom, Her Mother's Death (Watch)
- Are Micro-credentials the Next Best Thing for a CV? (Infographic)
- Tamar Braxton Fired, BET Award Nominations, Madonna Prince Tribute and More! | BHL's This Week
- TV One Renews Docu-Series 'Rickey Smiley For Real'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here