*Emmy-award winning producer Shonda Rhimes showed some support for alma mater Dartmouth College.
She addressed 2014’s graduates and gave some “tough love” advice.
She told the graduates hard truths about success. Also, she told them in order to be activists they actually have to take action.
Rhimes said dreaming is a waste of time.
“Dreams are lovely. But they are just dreams. Fleeting, ephemeral, pretty,” she said. “But dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It’s hard work that makes things happen. It’s hard work that creates change.”
She continued with, “you want to be a writer? A writer is someone who writes every day, so start writing. You don’t have a job? Get one. Any job,” she said. “Don’t sit at home waiting for the magical opportunity. Who are you?Prince William? No. Get a job. Go to work. Do something until you can do something else.”
Rhimes told the graduates to take action. Social media helps spark conversations about advocacy, but it’s not actually activism.
“A hashtag does not make you Dr. King. A hashtag does not change anything. It’s a hashtag. It’s you, sitting on your butt, typing on your computer and then going back to binge-watching your favorite show. I do it all the time. For me, it’s Game of Thrones,” she said. “Volunteer some hours. Focus on something outside yourself. Devote a slice of your energies towards making the world suck less every week.”
Read more about what Rhimes had to say at YBF.
Watch Rhimes advice below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- ‘Creed’s Ryan Coogler and Tessa Thompson Reveal Their Favorite ‘Rocky’ Film
- Court Denies Sherri Shepherd’s Appeal to Stop Child Support Payments
- St. Louis Rams Receiver Stedman Baily Shot Twice in the Head
- Yuck Factor :( Guess Where This Woman Got the Yeast to Make Sourdough Bread?
- Will Smith on 20 Year Marriage to Jada: 'Grueling, Excruciating' (Watch)
- Gap Band Family Feud! Ronnie Wilson Sues Charlie Wilson
- Should Nicole Arbour's ‘Dear Black People’ Video be Banned? (WATCH)
- The Big Reward in Trump's Perennial Race-Baiting
- THE (11-25-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- GS Warriors Make NBA History with 16-0 Season Start (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here