*Emmy-award winning producer Shonda Rhimes showed some support for alma mater Dartmouth College.
She addressed 2014’s graduates and gave some “tough love” advice.
She told the graduates hard truths about success. Also, she told them in order to be activists they actually have to take action.
Rhimes said dreaming is a waste of time.
“Dreams are lovely. But they are just dreams. Fleeting, ephemeral, pretty,” she said. “But dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It’s hard work that makes things happen. It’s hard work that creates change.”
She continued with, “you want to be a writer? A writer is someone who writes every day, so start writing. You don’t have a job? Get one. Any job,” she said. “Don’t sit at home waiting for the magical opportunity. Who are you?Prince William? No. Get a job. Go to work. Do something until you can do something else.”
Rhimes told the graduates to take action. Social media helps spark conversations about advocacy, but it’s not actually activism.
“A hashtag does not make you Dr. King. A hashtag does not change anything. It’s a hashtag. It’s you, sitting on your butt, typing on your computer and then going back to binge-watching your favorite show. I do it all the time. For me, it’s Game of Thrones,” she said. “Volunteer some hours. Focus on something outside yourself. Devote a slice of your energies towards making the world suck less every week.”
Read more about what Rhimes had to say at YBF.
Watch Rhimes advice below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Serena Williams Confesses She Was Sore After Twerking For Beyonce
- 'Natural' Black Bride Goes Viral - The Game Taunts Chris Brown
- Glam-Horror 'The Neon Demon' is a 'Celebration of Narcissism'
- Óscar Jaenada Says 'The Shallows' Set to 'Become A Classic’ [EUR Exclusive]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here