*Emmy-award winning producer Shonda Rhimes showed some support for alma mater Dartmouth College.
She addressed 2014’s graduates and gave some “tough love” advice.
She told the graduates hard truths about success. Also, she told them in order to be activists they actually have to take action.
Rhimes said dreaming is a waste of time.
“Dreams are lovely. But they are just dreams. Fleeting, ephemeral, pretty,” she said. “But dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It’s hard work that makes things happen. It’s hard work that creates change.”
She continued with, “you want to be a writer? A writer is someone who writes every day, so start writing. You don’t have a job? Get one. Any job,” she said. “Don’t sit at home waiting for the magical opportunity. Who are you?Prince William? No. Get a job. Go to work. Do something until you can do something else.”
Rhimes told the graduates to take action. Social media helps spark conversations about advocacy, but it’s not actually activism.
“A hashtag does not make you Dr. King. A hashtag does not change anything. It’s a hashtag. It’s you, sitting on your butt, typing on your computer and then going back to binge-watching your favorite show. I do it all the time. For me, it’s Game of Thrones,” she said. “Volunteer some hours. Focus on something outside yourself. Devote a slice of your energies towards making the world suck less every week.”
Read more about what Rhimes had to say at YBF.
Watch Rhimes advice below:
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here