Tika Sumpter, who plays the devious southern belle Candace Young on the show, has noted the complaints. Speaking with theGrio.com’s Chris Witherspoon, the actress defended “The Haves and the Have Nots,” has been criticized for having “poor production value” and being “hurtful to the black community.”
“I don’t read anything about what critics say,” Sumpter said. “I just do what I do and try to elevate the show as much as I can. Tyler’s trying to do the same. We’re just trying to make it work, and I think people are seeing changes now, even in just the way that we shoot it, and the production value has definitely gone up. I think that we’re just trying to make the best show that we can. We don’t aim to be lowbrow or anything like that. I think we’re just working the kinks out, as any show would do.”
Created by Perry, “The Haves and the Have Nots” centers around the rich and powerful Cryer family and the hired help who work in their opulent Savannah, Georgia mansion. The show’s season 1 finale in March set a network record by attracting 3.6 million viewers.
The second season of “The Haves and the Have Nots” is set to premiere this week. The show airs at 9/8c Tuesdays on OWN. To see Tika Sumpter’s interview with thegrio.com, check out the video below:
- S.C. Legislature Has Votes to Remove Confederate Flag; KKK to Rally at Statehouse
- NBC Wants Minority Host to Replace Trump on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’?
- Seahawks WR Doug Baldwin Goes Viral with Anti-Confederate Flag Post
- Report: Tyga Fails to Pay 50K Offered to Squash Underage Sexual Battery Lawsuit
- Lee Daniels Signs Overall Deal with 20th Century Fox TV
- Brittney Griner’s Ex Glory Johnson Reveals She’s Having Twins
- NBC Fires Donald Trump Over Racist Comments
- Rich Homie Quan Bails from BET Awards Over Stage Demotion
- Cameron Turner: More White Folks Need to Listen To Us
- Female EMT 'Fired' for Refusal to Support Baby in Distress (Child Dies)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here