Tika Sumpter, who plays the devious southern belle Candace Young on the show, has noted the complaints. Speaking with theGrio.com’s Chris Witherspoon, the actress defended “The Haves and the Have Nots,” has been criticized for having “poor production value” and being “hurtful to the black community.”
“I don’t read anything about what critics say,” Sumpter said. “I just do what I do and try to elevate the show as much as I can. Tyler’s trying to do the same. We’re just trying to make it work, and I think people are seeing changes now, even in just the way that we shoot it, and the production value has definitely gone up. I think that we’re just trying to make the best show that we can. We don’t aim to be lowbrow or anything like that. I think we’re just working the kinks out, as any show would do.”
Created by Perry, “The Haves and the Have Nots” centers around the rich and powerful Cryer family and the hired help who work in their opulent Savannah, Georgia mansion. The show’s season 1 finale in March set a network record by attracting 3.6 million viewers.
The second season of “The Haves and the Have Nots” is set to premiere this week. The show airs at 9/8c Tuesdays on OWN. To see Tika Sumpter’s interview with thegrio.com, check out the video below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ben Carson Judges Ore. Shooting Victims: ‘I Wouldn’t Just Stand There and Let Him Shoot Me’
- After 3 Years, Stevie Wonder’s Divorce from Kai Millard Finalized
- Rosie O’Donnell’s Daughter: Mom Left ‘The View’ Over Rift with Whoopi
- 'Black-ish' Ep. 3, 'Dr. Hell No' Highlights Healthcare Fear Among Black Men
- Beyonce, Jay Z Renting $45 Million Mansion, Suing Clothing Retailer
- EUR Goes Behind the Scenes of 'Law & Order: SVU' (Watch)
- Stephon Marbury Blasts MJ for ‘Kids Getting Killed’ Over Air Jordans
- Toddler Chokes to Death After Mother Dies While Feeding Him (Video)
- Damon Dash & Curren$y End $3M Legal Battle with Settlement
- Michael Moore on Hollywood’s Lack of Diversity: ‘A Form of Apartheid’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here