*Two months ago, 276 schoolgirls were kidnapped from Nigeria’s Government Secondary School by terrorist group, Boko Haram.
Since then, Black Twitter sparked a campaign and world discussion to #bringbackourgirls.
Last Friday night, Tyrese Gibson with the help of “Afrika Fifty6” put on a benefit concert to raise awareness and aid to the victims and their families impacted by the tragedy.
“When someone sees how much traction and attention something gets like this when you make a statement, naturally other folks are going to have the idea pop up on them,” Gibson told HipHollywood.
Gibson encouraged folks to do more and be active in raising awareness.
“Lets go beyond holding up a sign from the convenience of your house. Lets gets our knees dirty, orchestrate, use your influence that God has given you to try to change the world and make a difference.”
Many celebrities came out and showed their support for the cause.
“The minute I heard about it on the news it was devastating. I think it’s a tragic situation and I’m glad that Tyrese has put together this event to give back and help,” Karrueche Tran said.
“Having kids of my own, I could imagine having then kidnapped and nothing being done about it,” Los Angeles Clippers player, Matt Barnes added. “Hopefully we can raise awareness, raise money and help get those girls home.
Watch a clip from the benefit below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Marshawn Lynch Retires Without Having Spent His $50M NFL Income
- Nuisance Abatement Law Seemingly Gives NYPD License to Evict Criminal and Non-Criminal Residents
- Toyota Motor Credit to Pay $21.9 Million for Discrimination
- THE (02-08-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Award Winning Pianist Kris Bowers to Perform at Benefit Concert.
- A Miserable Cam Newton Bolts Out of Press Conference (WATCH)
- After Super Bowl 50 Performance Beyonce Announces 'Formation Tour'
- Denver Broncos Beat Carolina Panthers 24-10 to Win Super Bowl
- PETA Approves Jada Pinkett Smith's Ivory Tusk Decor
- John Legend Goes ‘Underground’ With Activism For Upcoming WGN Series
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here