*Two months ago, 276 schoolgirls were kidnapped from Nigeria’s Government Secondary School by terrorist group, Boko Haram.
Since then, Black Twitter sparked a campaign and world discussion to #bringbackourgirls.
Last Friday night, Tyrese Gibson with the help of “Afrika Fifty6” put on a benefit concert to raise awareness and aid to the victims and their families impacted by the tragedy.
“When someone sees how much traction and attention something gets like this when you make a statement, naturally other folks are going to have the idea pop up on them,” Gibson told HipHollywood.
Gibson encouraged folks to do more and be active in raising awareness.
“Lets go beyond holding up a sign from the convenience of your house. Lets gets our knees dirty, orchestrate, use your influence that God has given you to try to change the world and make a difference.”
Many celebrities came out and showed their support for the cause.
“The minute I heard about it on the news it was devastating. I think it’s a tragic situation and I’m glad that Tyrese has put together this event to give back and help,” Karrueche Tran said.
“Having kids of my own, I could imagine having then kidnapped and nothing being done about it,” Los Angeles Clippers player, Matt Barnes added. “Hopefully we can raise awareness, raise money and help get those girls home.
Watch a clip from the benefit below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Bobby Shurmda Denied Bail, Will Stay in Jail Until Feb Trial Date
- Kim Zolciak Returning to ‘DWTS’ for the Nov. Finale
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here