*Vera Sidika may not be well-known in America but folks in Kenya are well-aware of the aspiring singer and her noticeable backside. So much so that she has been labeled as Kenya’s answer to Kim Kardashian.
And like Kim, Sidika has people talking. According to pagesix.com, the socialite ignited a strong backlash Friday when she appeared on Kenya’s “#TheTrend.” During her appearance, Sidika, who’s been adored for her curves, told the show’s host that she spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on skin-lightening treatments.
Despite it being dangerous, skin lightening has gained popularity in Africa, with women going to makeshift clinics to get work done. The BBC notes that Kenyan men prefer their women lighter or “yellow, yellow,” as opposed to darker or “tinted” women.
“Looking good is my business,” Sidika said on “#TheTrend.” “My body is my business, nobody else’s but mine.” The 24-year-old model went on to reveal that she was motivated by her idols to lighten her skin, saying “Nicki Minaj and Rihanna did it. You just have to do it the right way.”
Within hours after Sidika’s interview, reaction from viewers came via social media. Twitter users were not shy about their feelings as they called the socialite out for low self-esteem and suggested that she put herself at risk, since bleaching has neither been tested nor regulated.
Thus far, according to Sidika, she’s spent $170,000 to have her skin lightened.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Rookie Cop Beats Handcuffed Woman & it's Caught on Camera! (WATCH)
- Prince Death Probe: Authorities Looking for 'Friendly' Docs who Prescribed Pills
- Karrine Steffans: ‘I Was One of Jay Z’s Beckys Back in 2000’
- Drake and Nicki Minaj No Longer Talk, but He Has ‘Genuine Energy’ With Rihanna
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here