*Whoopi Goldberg, Jada Pinkett Smith and Spike Lee were among the stars who used social media to share their thoughts about Oscar-nominated actress, poet, playwright and civil rights activist Ruby Dee, who died Wednesday at 91.
Goldberg referred to Dee as a “spectacular woman, actor & activist” who is “reunited at last” with her late husband Ossie Davis.
Smith called the late Hollywood legend “her cherished friend,” and thanked her, “for the care you always showed me.”
Spike Lee referred to her as his “spiritual mother.” Russell Simmons tweeted that she “inspired” him, and Mia Farrow paid tribute to Dee’s role in the civil rights movement.
The actress was active in politics and served as a member of the NAACP and Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, among other organizations.
Others remembering Dee include actor Wendell Pierce, actress Martha Plimpton and CNN anchor Don Lemon.
Anika Noni Rose, who stars in the Broadway revival of A Raisin in the Sun, which Dee starred in in 1961, thanked Dee for being a trailblazer.
Below, see what celebs are saying about Dee on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram:
Words cannot express how much Ruby Dee inspired me to be who I am today. I will miss her dearly…
— Russell Simmons (@UncleRUSH) June 12, 2014
“May Flights Of Angels Sing Thee To Thy Rest” God Bless You. Ruby Dee, legendary actress has died. One of the great influences in my life.
— Wendell Pierce (@WendellPierce) June 12, 2014
Actress Ruby Dee has passed away. I met her several times and she was absolutely lovely.
— Sunny Hostin (@SunnyHostin) June 12, 2014
#RIP, Ruby Dee. Thank you for paving the way with your brilliance, beauty, fight and grace.
— Anika Noni Rose (@AnikaNoniRose) June 12, 2014
The magnificent Ruby Dee, civil rights hero and extraordinary actress has left us RIP pic.twitter.com/lIsVqhO26v
— mia farrow (@MiaFarrow) June 12, 2014
— Don Lemon (@donlemon) June 12, 2014
People,I Just Found Out The Loss Of Spiritual Mother,The Late,Great Ruby Dee.I’m Crushed By This Bad… http://t.co/tUQzGt2mCa
— Spike Lee (@SpikeLee) June 12, 2014
A Spectacular woman, spectacular actor & activist has passed today….Ruby Dee. She & her husband Ossie Davis.. Re-United at last. R.I.P.
— Whoopi Goldberg (@WhoopiGoldberg) June 12, 2014
RIP, Ruby Dee—a lifelong NY’er whose mark on the performing arts community & civil rights movement lives on, inspiring us to be better.
— Bill de Blasio (@BilldeBlasio) June 12, 2014
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- 'Ed Gordon': Bounce TV's First-Ever Primetime News Magazine Show to Debut Sept. 13
- Songs in the Key of Stevie Wonder and Imhotep Gary Byrd: Celebrating 50 Years of Friendship (EUR Exclusive)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here