*Ever since news dropped about a planned biopic on Richard Pryor, speculation has run rampant over who would play the legendary comedian.
Among the contenders is Nick Cannon, who has one of the rumored frontrunners. The “America’s Got Talent” host recently gave his two cents regarding the film and talk of him portraying Pryor during an appearance on “Extra.” In Cannon’s eyes, it all comes down to the “best man” for the job.
“There’s a phenomenal director, Lee Daniels, who did everything from ‘The Butler,’ to ‘Precious.’ He’s assigned to the project, and he’s supposed to direct… He’s a personal friend of mine, and I’ve had the opportunity to kind of read with him, talk about it, but in my mind I’m trying to be the best man for the role,” the entertainer told host Mario Lopez. “There’s several other people who’d love to play this role, and I’m just saying may the best man get it.”
“I started growing my hair and doing the look and everything. Crazy, because the rumors started right away,” continued Cannon “… ultimately man, it’s a dream project, who wouldn’t want to be part of that legendary story, that legendary comic? He changed the face of comedy, so I’d love the opportunity.”
Meanwhile, Richard Pryor’s son, Richard Pryor Jr. – who initially came out against Cannon and for Marlon Wayans – has changed his mind and is now down with Nick as his choice to play his dad.
“I am actually very excited about it now. He changed my mind by how he is delving into it… He did the small thing of using his left hand instead of his right hand, he picked up smoking to try and emulate my dad, he’s let his hair grow out… he’s looking into who my dad really was, looking into his childhood, who he was raised by and around, and he is interested in talking to me about who my dad was.”
For more of Nick Cannon’s interview on “Extra,” check out the video below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- No, Pres. Obama Is NOT Giving $1000 to Everyone on Food Stamps
- UConn Revokes Bill Cosby’s Honorary Degree for Conduct 'Incongruent' With Their Values
- Questlove Joins New York Public Radio’s Board of Trustees
- Kevin Hart Scouting Talent for His ‘Laugh Out Loud’ On-Demand Channel
- Moniece Slaughter to Tank: 'You're Disgusting' for Shameful 'Stalker' Story [EUR Exclusive]
- 'We Are Charleston' Commemorates 1st-year Anniversary of 'The Emanuel Nine'
- Oprah Winfrey Set for First-ever Appearance at 2016 Essence Festival
- Steven Ivory: Farewell to P-Funk’s Bernie Worrell
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams, Madison Keys Advance to 3rd Round; Sloane Stephens Reaches Rain-Delayed 2nd
- Chris Brown Snatches Phone Away From Woman Recording Him (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here