*Ever since news dropped about a planned biopic on Richard Pryor, speculation has run rampant over who would play the legendary comedian.
Among the contenders is Nick Cannon, who has one of the rumored frontrunners. The “America’s Got Talent” host recently gave his two cents regarding the film and talk of him portraying Pryor during an appearance on “Extra.” In Cannon’s eyes, it all comes down to the “best man” for the job.
“There’s a phenomenal director, Lee Daniels, who did everything from ‘The Butler,’ to ‘Precious.’ He’s assigned to the project, and he’s supposed to direct… He’s a personal friend of mine, and I’ve had the opportunity to kind of read with him, talk about it, but in my mind I’m trying to be the best man for the role,” the entertainer told host Mario Lopez. “There’s several other people who’d love to play this role, and I’m just saying may the best man get it.”
“I started growing my hair and doing the look and everything. Crazy, because the rumors started right away,” continued Cannon “… ultimately man, it’s a dream project, who wouldn’t want to be part of that legendary story, that legendary comic? He changed the face of comedy, so I’d love the opportunity.”
Meanwhile, Richard Pryor’s son, Richard Pryor Jr. – who initially came out against Cannon and for Marlon Wayans – has changed his mind and is now down with Nick as his choice to play his dad.
“I am actually very excited about it now. He changed my mind by how he is delving into it… He did the small thing of using his left hand instead of his right hand, he picked up smoking to try and emulate my dad, he’s let his hair grow out… he’s looking into who my dad really was, looking into his childhood, who he was raised by and around, and he is interested in talking to me about who my dad was.”
For more of Nick Cannon’s interview on “Extra,” check out the video below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR Exclusive First Look Clip: Robert Townsend's 'Playin' for Love'
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here