*“Good Morning America” co-host Robin Roberts has been chosen to christen the new Goodyear blimp, joining a list of several accomplished women before her who have been given the honor, including Sally Ride and Amelia Earhart.
“We are honored and delighted to have Robin continue our proud tradition of christening the Goodyear blimp,” said Richard J. Kramer, chairman and chief executive officer. “In addition to being a supremely talented broadcaster, Robin has a family legacy with Goodyear and Akron. The combination of her personal connection to our city and company, her distinguished professional achievements and charitable works makes Robin an ideal choice to christen our newest icon.”
Roberts, who will christen the blimp in August, has a family legacy with the Goodyear company as well as with the city of Akron, Ohio, where the Goodyear headquarters is located.
“This is incredibly meaningful to my family,” Robin said. “My great grandfather moved his family from down south to Akron in 1918 to work for Goodyear. Never could he have imagined that one day one of his descendants would be asked to christen the blimp. I’m very honored.”
In addition to her great grandfather, Roberts’ grandfather, William Tolliver, worked at Goodyear, too. Her late mother, Lucimarian Roberts, was born in Akron and she graduated from East High School–which is located just a few blocks from the Goodyear headquarters.
Roberts also has a family connection to aviation through her late father, Lawrence E. Roberts. He served in the United States military for more than 30 years. Col. Roberts was a pilot with the U.S. Army Air Corps’ prestigious Tuskegee Airmen during World War II. He later became a flight instructor at the Tuskegee Institute.
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- South Carolina Senate Votes to Remove Confederate Flag from Statehouse
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here