During an interview with Vlad TV, the Chicago lyricist confirmed that all the back and forth was, as many people thought, motivated by Serena Williams.
“I think that was, for me, an emotional thing. I was feeling like…at that time, I think it was the “Drake/Serena situation” I didn’t know what was going on with that. I didn’t know if he was throwing things, shots or anything,” said Common. “This is my ex and we kind of going our separate ways. Unfortunately the war might have been over a girl, even if at the time I never said that.”
Sparked by Williams, Common’s beef with Drake goes back to 2011, when the “I Used to Love H.E.R.” rhymer was working on his album, “The Dreamer/The Believer.” After Common fired the first shot with his song, “Sweet,” listeners believed that Drake was the intended target, which Common later confirmed. As a result, Drizzy responded with his verse on Rick Ross’ “Stay Schemin’.” Although Williams was mentioned as the cause of the beef, it wasn’t confirmed until now.
To see Common’s entire Vlad TV interview, check out the video below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ahmad Rashad Gets Married For Fifth Time
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here